Sunday, November 8, 2009

[Electric Boats] Hypothetical Question

 

I have a hypothetical question that I hope you electrical engineers out there can give me an answer to.

If we have a boat that takes 5kw of power to do 5kts in calm conditions, so this becomes a constant.

We have a 5kw motor providing the power at 48 volts.

Now my question is, if we change this motor to a 10kw motor at 48 volts would the draw from the batteries be the same to do the same 5kts assuming nothing else has changed.

Secondly if we used a 5kw motor at 96 volts would the power draw from the batteries again be the same to do 5kts.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the consequences of using larger motors other than extra weight and cost.

Thanks for any help.

Colin Girvan
BC Canada


All new Yahoo! Mail - Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane.

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment