Saturday, May 5, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] concept for an electric houseboat

 

You don't need 3. A Torqeedo Cruise 4.0 R has almost the same power specs as the Aquawatt Green Force.
 
I have not heard any negatives about the Torqeedo motors. Would you provide some links for us?
 
Transom height: 20 Inch
Nominal voltage: 48/50 Volts
Current max: 190 Amp
Power output max: 8 KW
Weight: 66 Kg
Propeller size: 11, 12 or 13 inch
Thrust with standard propeller: 135 da N
Maximum speed: 8 Knots
Range of use Lakes, coast, rivers - suitable for salt water use

 
 
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 6:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] concept for an electric houseboat
 
 

Yes, you're correct.  Aquawatt outboards are a ridiculous price.  I haven't heard stellar things about the Torqeedo durability / longevity though, and also it seems that rigging up 3 outboards to the same steering might be a project all by itself.
 
I dunno.  I don't see a perfect option yet.  I guess going with an inboard might be my only real option when weighing all the factors.  I'd still rather not if I can help it though.
 
-keith


--- On Sat, 5/5/12, Edward Bachmann <edbz@hotmail.com> wrote:

From: Edward Bachmann <edbz@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] concept for an electric houseboat
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, May 5, 2012, 2:46 PM



For the price of that motor, you could buy 3 Torqeedo Cruise R outboards.
 
 
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2012 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] concept for an electric houseboat
 
 

I don't know if I'm going to use a reduction drive or not. My hope was to find an outboard for the suitable voltage, power requirement, and desired efficiency.

Maybe the outboard to look at would be the Aquawatt Green Force. Specs copied from http://www.aquawatt.at/downloads2/2012-Prospekt-Motor-Komp-EN.pdf :

Transom height: 20 Inch
Nominal voltage: 48/50 Volts
Current max: 190 Amp
Power output max: 8 KW
Weight: 66 Kg
Propeller size: 11, 12 or 13 inch
Thrust with standard propeller: 135 da N
Maximum speed: 8 Knots
Range of use Lakes, coast, rivers - suitable for salt water use

Looking at the pictures, it's apparent that the Green Force is built with the motor itself down in the water, in line with the prop. I haven't read anything indicating whether or not it's directly coupled or if there's an inline gearbox. I also haven't read anything indicating whether the motor is brushless or brushed, how it's wound, etc.

Single digit slip sounds great. I'm doubting I can get there with the things I have to work with though.

This whole discussion really goes hand in hand with my previous question about a chain drive electric outboard. It sure seems like that would be a simple, elegant, and efficient solution to powering pleasure craft with electric. Reduction could be built into the sprockets... 2 to 1 would be pretty easy. Even approaching 3 to 1 would still work. One would be limited by the size of the sprocket down near the prop and the (lack of) efficiency associated with small sprockets (less than 10 teeth starts to become fairly inefficient). Anyhow, I digress.

Thanks again,
-keith

--- On Sat, 5/5/12, Robert Lemke <mailto:robert-lemke%40att.net> wrote:

I'm assuming your going to be using a reduction drive? Change gearing for speed but still use as large a diameter and pitch as will fit. That way if you upgrade in the future to a more powerful motor you just need to change the reduction gears. Slow turning props are the best for minimum slip. My slip figures are single digit aboard the container ships I served on, 112 rpm direct drive from the engine.
Bob



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment