Thursday, May 3, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] concept for an electric houseboat

 

The Parsun will be a 10 hp, not 10 Kw. Determine prop shaft rpm and pitch for speed desired. If shaft speed is say 2200 rpm X 4" pitch = 8800" per minute X 60 = 528,000 inches per hour / 12 = 44,000 feet per hour / 5280 = 8.33 mph X 0.88 slip = 7.33 mph, easy, huh?

Bob

--- On Thu, 5/3/12, Keith Jacko <nrixez@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Keith Jacko <nrixez@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] concept for an electric houseboat
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 9:22 PM

I'm interested in building an electric house boat.  The basic concept is an easily driven houseboat, strictly displacement speeds (6 - 7 mph), powered by an electric outboard.  I'm thinking about a 10kw outboard.  The boat as sketched would displace just a little under 6 tons to sit on her lines.  Here are a few pictures of the boat sketch (and a .skp file if anyone wants to play around):

http://www.dwdogs.com/Fusion/

I'd love to go with a ~40 kwh LFP pack, but reality probably has me sticking to around 20 kwh.  There is enough space on the roof of the boat to fit 2 kw of solar panels.  More if I really stretch it, but I'm thinking 2 kw should be enough.

Basic boat dimensions: 32' x 8' with a 16" draft.  At 12,000 lbs with the proper center of gravity, the bottom of the transom would just be touching the surface of the water.

I live in Minneapolis, and this boat would be for cruising on the upper Mississippi and St. Croix rivers.  Fairly sheltered, and no currents greater than 4 mph (hopefully less most of the time).

The boat will be built with plywood covered in glass / epoxy.  I do plan on having fairly thick cabin walls for a boat... 2x4 construction, with closed cell foam insulation / floatation in the walls, hull, and cabin roof.

Any feedback about the sketches or general idea?  I'm designing this as a liveaboard, and I plan on living on the hook as much as possible.

About the outboard, I'm not really sure how to figure the proper prop size, pitch, and rpm to shoot for.  I understand the general rule of thumb "bigger prop, slower rpm, better"... but I don't know much past that.  Could an electric outboard like say the up and coming Parsun 10 kw efficiently drive a heavy displacement boat like this?  Or would it be better to think about using an inboard instead, so I would have the flexibility to tailor the rpm to my liking?  I really do like the overall project simplicity of an outboard, but if it's really less than ideal I could consider alternatives.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.  Cheers!
-keith



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment