Monday, May 7, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Battery Investigation: Load test

 

Hi Mike,

I have been leaving my PakTrakr off when I'm not using it. I wired the PakTrakr up to be switched between the 2 separate 48 volt banks of my system. The switch is an on/off/on switch so I set it the off position when I don't need to read the PakTrakr, works great.

When the PakTrakr is powered up the batteries are all within .01 volts of each other. After one minute the negative most battery is .25 lower than the rest. In ten minutes or so the negative most battery can be up to .75 volts lower then the others.

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Mike <biankablog@...> wrote:
>
> Steve:
>  
> I always noticed a slightly lower voltage reading on the battery that the Packtrakr took it's voltage. But, this year all of a sudden the battery timed out when using two seperate battery chargers. The only thing I did different this year is I did not have my wind turbine hooked up to helped keep things charged up beyond the solar panels. So I suspect that Paktrakr load finally took it's toll on the battery. So I think shutting it down when it is not really needed might be the best in the long term. I don't think you have to disconnect the Paktrakr totally just insert a switch in the negative or positive lead of the feed that powers it. At least that's what I am planning on doing.
>  
> Capt.Mike
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com
>  
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Steve Dolan <sdolan@...>
> To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Monday, May 7, 2012 8:14 AM
> Subject: RE: [Electric Boats] Battery Investigation: Load test
>
>
>  
> Mike,
> Ya I was thinking that was the only way to do it. It’s probably not a bad idea to shut the PK’s off every once in a while to reset the meter. I’m getting some weird readings lately when reconnecting to the shore power, it settles down after a while but a little concerning. I’ve got 2 PK strings to disconnect and the switches will be in a not so convenient location to get to. I still like the fact I can see all the individual batteries though. I’m looking into the next generation of BMS systems for the LiFePo4’s to see what that’s going to be like when I switch to them.      
>  
> Steve in Solomons MD
> Lagoon 410 SE
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment