Saturday, January 15, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Repowering a 65 motor sailer

 

Thanks Tom , very much !.
I'd go for the Nanni hybrid straight up , if it wasn't for the big "sticker shock".
A reasonably easy to handle sailing rig , a modern diesel , and a Nanni type electric setup would do me fine.
And I wouldn't find it hard to use them all efficiently.
Regards and thanks Rob J.


From: Tom <boat_works@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, 16 January, 2011 4:19:40 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Repowering a 65 motor sailer




Hi Rob,
Since you asked so nicely, the articles I refer to are in issues #107 and #109 from 2007.
There is much too much information to repeat here, the articles cover 27 pages in the magazines. Here is part of his summary:

Page 92, issue #107
...The potential efficiency gains enumerated here are what's driving enthusiasm for diesel-electric propulsion. In theory at least, the dotted lines give us some idea of the efficiency gains that can be attained by uncoupling the engine from its propeller and using it to power a generator in a manner to keep the engine near fully loaded at all times. It's a compelling idea, but in the next issue I'll look at details of the installations intended to realize that ideal, and explore why these kind of gains are almost never seen in practice, I'll also explore why many diesel-electric installations may be less efficient than a conventional installation.

Page 150, issue #109
...I began my investigation into diesel-electric technology believing that I would install a full-dress serial system in my new boat, primarily because of what I perceived to be its efficiency gains. But, the deeper I dug into the efficiency enigma, the more nuanced I realized it is, and the more I came to believe that the potential efficiency gains of diesel-electric propulsion are being steadily eroded by ever-improving diesel engine technology. 

...when you add in the extra cost of the diesel-electric system and the added complexity and potential failure points, at present I find the case for a serial system to be less than compelling in most circumstances.
 
...There are still far too many unknowns regarding diesel-electric boats to draw any hard and fast conclusions as to its viability, or to the preferred approach in a given application. It is my hope that this series of articles, in conjunction with further research I intend to do with my own boat, will spark discussion, and result in additional data that should enable boat builders and owners alike to make informed decisions.

End of magazine articles.

Granted, these publications are over three years old. I haven't seen any updates on Nigel's boat since then. I do try to keep current on this topic.


-Tom





-- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Johnson <dopeydriver@...> wrote:
>
> Tom , may I ask of you please , could you tell me what Nigel Calder concluded as
> to hybrid efficiency , in his articles ?,
>
> I haven't had the opportunity to read them.
> Regards Rob J.
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Tom <boat_works@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Sat, 15 January, 2011 8:29:58 PM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Repowering a 65 motor sailer
>
>
>
> THanks Nicolas, I understand that you don't need to run under battery power
> alone, so you won't need a huge battery bank for propulsion.
>
> You will, however, need a much larger genset. I don't see how a large diesel
> genset powering an electric motor will help you meet your design goals of
> minimizing spares, serviceabilty in remote areas, efficiency (refer to Nigel
> Calder's articles on hybrids in Professional Boatbuilder) and reliability. I do
> admit that removing and replacing the current 160HP ICE with another model
> engine will be a big project.
>
>
> Don't get me wrong, I love electric boats. I run one, and wouldn't ever change
> it to ICE, but some applications make more sense than others.
>
> I'd be happy to be proven wrong, and look forward to following this discussion.
>
> -Tom
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Oberzire <ibles_world@> wrote:
> >
> > Tom the Gen Set would be running when the motors are running, but its only
> >12.5kw so pulling 60k out for a motor wouldnt be long before I had batterys
> >would be defeated, the motors need to be run hours on end and not just to back
> >it up on a dock, it is a sail boat, but when the seas are rough I be motoring
> >more than a bank of batteries can hold
> >
> > --- On Thu, 1/13/11, Tom <boat_works@> wrote:
> >
> > From: Tom <boat_works@>
> > Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Repowering a 65 motor sailer
> > To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > Date: Thursday, January 13, 2011, 5:03 PM
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >  
> >
> >
> >
> > 
> >
> >
> >   
> >     
> >     
> >      I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but I don't recall: Is the
> >boat intended to be run under battery power alone (no genset running), and for
> >how long?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > -Tom
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, GNHBus@ wrote:
> >
> > >
> >
> > > I was looking at Baldors yesterday, this would take @ 40-50kw , do you have
> >
> > >  more infos on this Hans?
> >
> > > 
> >
> > > 
> >
> > > In a message dated 1/12/2011 8:35:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 
> >
> > > hanskloepfer@ writes:
> >
> > >
> >
> > > 
> >
> > > 
> >
> > > 
> >
> > >
> >
> > > If redundancy is what you are looking for  have you considered an
> >
> > > industrial ac motor like a Baldor. I have seen  large yachts which have a
> >large
> >
> >
> > > industrial Baldor or similar motors  belted to the existing prop shaft. This
> >is
> >
> >
> > > just a simple method of  providing some redundency. It would perhaps require
>
> >
> > > a larger generator,  but this could be used for other power hungry AC
> >
> > > appliances.
> >
> > >
> >
> > > Just  a thought.
> >
> > > Hans K
> >
> > >
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment