Monday, November 1, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] I am thinking about considering building an E-Boat

 

Here is an online calculator where you can play with different peukert
numbers and see the results:

http://www.green-trust.org/peukert/

Steve Spence
Renewable energy and self sufficiency
http://www.green-trust.org
http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com/

On 11/01/2010 09:49 AM, Mike wrote:
>
>
> Bill:
>
> As I learned here in this group the capacity remaining in the battery
> depends on how much current you pull from the battery and how fast you
> do it. It's based on something called Puekert's equation and different
> batteries have a different Puekert exponent. So it's not a simple
> current in and current out ratio. Battery meters like the Xantrex (TBS)
> allow you to program the Puekert number of your battery bank into their
> calculations. Others can add to the explanation I'm sure. But, it's an
> important concept to understand when going electric.
> A good primer on it is here:
> http://batteryuniversity.com/partone-16a.htm
>
> Capt. Mike
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com <http://biankablog.blogspot.com/>
>
> --- On *Sun, 10/31/10, Bill Spires /<spiresac@yahoo.com>/* wrote:
>
>
> From: Bill Spires <spiresac@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] I am thinking about considering
> building an E-Boat
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 2:32 PM
>
>
> That sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I am also
> interested in tracking how much power it took to recharge the bank
> back to full and knowing how much capacity is left in the bank when
> it is full. .Is there a graph somewhere that shows the capacity
> drop for batteries as you discharge and recharge them?
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* Mike <biankablog@verizon.net>
> *To:* electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> *Sent:* Sun, October 31, 2010 8:24:34 AM
> *Subject:* Re: [Electric Boats] I am thinking about considering
> building an E-Boat
>
>
> Capt. Bill:
>
> Sounds like a plan! I'll let others speak to the motor,
> controllers etc... For instrumentation you might try a Paktraker
> with a current measuring option. It will let you know the voltage of
> each individual battery as well as the whole bank voltage, current
> in and out and also kilowatts used. You might have to make sure it
> stays out of the weather in some type of protective case and cover.
> But, I think it will do everything you want.
>
> Capt.Mike
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com/
>
>
> --- On *Sun, 10/31/10, Bill Spires /<spiresac@yahoo.com>/* wrote:
>
>
> From: Bill Spires <spiresac@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] I am thinking about considering
> building an E-Boat
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 5:41 AM
>
>
> I am thinking about building an electric boat and that is why I
> joined the group. I think I have found the perfect hull for me.
> An old Rainbow sailboat. It is currently a complete sailboat
> but I plan to convert it to an E-boat only with no mast or keel.
> I have a 36 volt golf cart motor but I think I will start off
> with just a trolling motor. The lake I live on
> is approximately 7 mile s wide and 20 miles long with about 600
> miles of shoreline. I need about 10-12 miles of range at about
> 4 knots. I think a 2 battery setup with an electric trolling
> motor will give me what I am looking for. I will carry a small
> generator to run the blender and provide a supplemental charge.
> I will re-charge the batteries from shore power after a cruise
> and I am planning to put at least on solar panel on with a diode
> just to keep the batteries topped.
>
> Any thoughts o the above?
>
> I would like to instrument the boat so that I can know exactly
> how efficient it is. If I go for a little sunset cruise how can
> I tell how many kilowatts it will take to recharge
> the batteries? A spreadsheet that we could just plugs some
> numbers into would be nice,,, and a computer programmed to do
> all the calculations while we are out cruising would also be
> nice. Tie in the GPS as an auto pilot and I can concentrate on
> running the blender.
>
> Are we having fun yet?
>
> Capt. Bill
> From the Palmetto State
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment