Tuesday, November 23, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: High end electric/diesel yacht

 

David,

The electric power from my local utility is confirmed to be more than 20% supplied by renewable sources. The largest coal powered plant within 300 miles was decommisioned in 2005. The bulk of our local power generation is from natural gas, so I would say that the electricity in my area is considerably cleaner than power from IC engines. In our area, electricity is not used much for heating anything, water, cooking and area heating is usually natural gas because it is more efficient (cheaper) overall, it just happens to be cleaner too.

Moving on to the trickle down process, I would use the Solomon/Lagoon joint venture as an example. The handful of charter catamarans that were put into service provided enough feedback from regular users, that Solomon re-engineered the systems that they sell to people like you or me. Those charter cats were pulled from service and "new and improved" versions were released later. (I believe that one of the early Lagoons is owned by someone in this group). The real world experience gained from less than a dozen of these large boats has influenced many later ventures, I would bet that the Hunter engineers are very aware of what worked there and what didn't.

About the Hunter 27e, I think that the Hunter 27 is a reasonable modern production boat, though not my cup of tea. Using Elco's "drop-in" diesel replacement should be pretty straightforward. I give Hunter a big thumbs up for putting the option out there, even if they haven't built one yet (does anybody know?). I've heard that Catalina out here on the west coast is discussing electric options too.

I'll move any more thoughts about the Hunter to its own thread.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA
converting my 1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30 ketch

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, David Goldsmith <suntreader@...> wrote:
>
> >
> Respectfully, the EPA methodology isn't as foolproof as a single number can
> explain. Electric cars, unless they are being charged from a known renewable
> source, such as wind, solar, biomass, or hydro, do have emissions associated
> with their use, but determining those emissions is a case-by-case situation
> starting from their charging outlet and ending up at the mine or the well
> where the fuel originates. I have no doubt that electric cars, when compared
> to conventional cars, use less energy to drive around, but I think its more
> from their owners attention to weight, driving habits, and design of the
> vehicle rather than something inherent in using grid power instead of point
> of use power....
>
>
> I would question whether there is anything here that's going to trickle down to the
> rest of us. I mean, they'll probably build what, ten of these total? The
> systems aren't completely specified but I would guess the components are all
> off-the-shelf items (at least as much as they can be in boats) rather than
> representing a break through in motors, controllers, batteries, or gearing.
> There won't be enough to bring down costs on the components, and the system
> isn't one that would scale down to the more pedestrian boats discussed
> around here.
>
> Can we talk about how great that new Hunter 27e is? I drive by the plant all
> the time, if the group would like to put together some questions I'm sure I
> could make an appointment to go and talk to the designers and see some being
> built (if they're in production yet.)
>
> David
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Be a homeroom hero ¿ help Yahoo! donate up to $350K to classrooms!


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment