Monday, November 29, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Converting an Albin 27

 


Mike,

Won't think of giving up, just going a different route....   Starting at the root, not the back end in the controller.   The prop and the efficiency of that system is my starting place, when I have that in my grasps at 2 knots.....(I hear some faint chuckles out there)  that's the speed that almost all sailors can get...   the beat goes on, but it starts with the prop..   Dave K

From: Mike <biankablog@verizon.net>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, November 29, 2010 7:59:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Converting an Albin 27



David:
 
You should absolutely not give up on regen. I was able to get my regen working this past season after two years of trying. Though I was moving along at about six + knots  at the time. So I know it works but, one is not always going that speed (at least I am not). Also I think my controller may have a programming issue as when I put the throttle into the regen detent position I get a current draw of -4 amps. I'm thinking that the controller is setup to be used as an "electric brake" and not set up for the type of regen from a propeller turning in the water. I may get around to looking at this issue at some point.  But, my electric propulsion system is working great for my cruising needs and I don't depend on regen for charging. Plus when I'm moving along at regen speeds I concentrating more on sailing than keeping an eye on the current meter. So the urgency to get in there and mess around with programming the controller is not high on my list. I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it type of sailor" but, that does not mean I don't encourage others to experiment and tweak their systems if they want too.
 
Capt. Mike
 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Be a homeroom hero � help Yahoo! donate up to $350K to classrooms!


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment