Tuesday, November 23, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: New guy Questions

 

Glenn,

I'm interested in your budget. How much would a diesel re-power cost for your boat? Are you considering electric primarily because you think that it is a cheaper alternative to ICE?

You should seriously think about the compromises that you're signing up for. A 500 lb flooded or AGM battery bank will drive your boat about as far as 0.75 gallons of diesel. The Vega is a small boat, do you have room for eight 6V golf cart batteries or four 4D batteries?

A new Beta twin diesel weighs about 200 pounds. A decent sized electric drive will weigh 200+ lbs more than a diesel system, including a full 8 gallon fuel tank, that is sized for your boat.

How long have you been sailing your boat? How much fuel do you usually burn over the course of your regular trip? When I realized that I rarely burned one whole gallon per trip in my boat, electric drive became more feasible. I'll spend at least 80% of what I would have spent for a diesel re-power that I did myself, so I'm not doing it to save money.

As long as you approach this project with your eyes open to what it really means, then you shouldn't be disappointed. i've seen a number of newly converted boats that obviously did not meet their owner's expectations.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "vega1184" <vega1184@...> wrote:
>
> I need to repower my 27' sailboat was looking at a diesel but electric has interested me. I have a strong mechanical background and some electrical experience mostly automotive and a little residential, that being said I can safety repair most anything; it's designing where I may need some help. I have a very healthy respect for electricity and always ensure cables are properly terminated, sealed and secured, all grounds are in place and all batteries secured.
> First off budget is an issue I don't want to go over $4K, from prop to batteries, is this possible? Rough guess shaft, prop, bearings, etc $1K. Kit something like Thunderstruck, Sevcon Brushless Sailboat Kit - 8.5KW (http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=55) $1.5K. Wiring, motor mount, belt drive reduction, misc bits $0.5K. That leaves $1K for batteries and chargers, not much I know, but I could add more later. I would thinks 48 volt would be better (at least safer), but amps are starting to get high. Batteries, I guess I would have to go with AGM, have some space, would love LiFePO4 but out of my buget right now. Any one have any suggestions?
>
> Boat Specs
> 1971 Albin Vega
> LOA 27'
> LWL 23'
> Beam 8' at WL 7'
> Displ average 6500 Lbs
>
> Glenn
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment