Friday, November 26, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Converting an Albin 27

 

Yes the brake (Avid mountain bike brake) set-up was my design. An issue with the early Sevcons for marine use was that they would not allow you to shift instantly from full forward to reverse. The controller wanted to see a stopped shaft. The brake let me stop the shaft at will and shift. Also I like to lock the shaft while sailing so I don't hear the motor turning. Of course if I want regen I do not lock the shaft.

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Dennis" <vega1184@...> wrote:
>
> Mark
>
> Very nice install. The solidNav is a nice unit. I liked the disc brake, was it your idea? Getting the pitch right is a concern of mine, I can get a 13 x 13 prop but I don't want to over prop it. All the prop calulators point to a 13 x 9 or 10, but the're based on a IC motor.
>
> Glenn
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "acsarfkram" <acsarfkram@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Glenn,
> >
> > I bought a factory built unit from SolidNav, the Explorer model. It has a Mars motor with a Sevcon controller. I think the gear ratio is 2 to 1 maybe a bit more than 2, you should be able to find that info on their web site.
> >
> > The prop I'm using is a fixed 3 blade 12x10. I would like to try a 12x11 or 12 some day as I think I would get a higher top speed. Currently I have a top speed in calm conditions of 5.7 knts. My concern is loosing the 4 knts at 20 amps, I would not sacrifice that for a higher top speed. But 4knts at 16 amps....:-)
> >
> > You can see some photos in the photo section here under "Lotus Flower".
> >
> > I've been running my system non stop since May of 2008 and am very pleased. Good luck with your research and possible repower.
> >
> > Mark
> > Santa Cruz
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Dennis" <vega1184@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Mark
> > >
> > > What motor and controller do you have? Did you get it as a kit or build it your self? What gear ratio and prop are you running? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to figure this out.
> > >
> > > Glenn
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "acsarfkram" <acsarfkram@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi Glenn,
> > > >
> > > > With my Ericson 27, (7000lbs before batteries) I have motored for 7 hrs at a draw of 20 amps. At that point I was using a small 2 blade prop that gave me 3 knts at that current draw. I now have a fixed 3 blade that gives me 4 knts at 20 amps.
> > > >
> > > > During that trip I used only one of the two 48 volt 100 amp hr banks that I have. I do not know how deep I discharged that bank because I didn't have a monitor at that point. It was probably deeper than you should discharge but I did have power at that point.
> > > >
> > > > I understand the theory dictates lower run times but I would be interested in what people are getting in real life.
> > > >
> > > > Mark
> > > > Santa Cruz
> > > >
> > > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@> wrote:
> > > > >>
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment