Sunday, November 28, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Converting an Albin 27

 

Hi Dave,

My boat is actually a Bruce King designed 1976 Ericson 27. And my current motoring numbers are better now that I have a larger (12x10) three blade prop; 4 knots at 20 amps.

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Dave Kellogg <inganear1@...> wrote:
>
> Mark, your Albin 27 is a slippery boat, much like the Pearson Triden or Alberg.
> I can believe the numbers at that speed... Dave K
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: acsarfkram <acsarfkram@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Sat, November 27, 2010 9:44:34 PM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Converting an Albin 27
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> I've posted this before; 4 West Marine (East Penn) group 27's and 4 universal
> UB121100 group 30's.
>
>
> It was dead calm when we motored for this long. We had the main up the entire
> time and tried varying amounts of headsail (we had a lot of time to play around
> :-). When the headsail was unfurled we would keep weight to leaward which would
> keep the sail somewhat full. I think you do get "lift" from the sail in this
> configuration like an aircraft but That's just my "feeling" I have no proof. My
> PakTrakr is down below so I do not constantly see my current draw and I was
> using the GPS at the helm and keeping the speed at 3 knots. Every time I checked
> the amp usage it was between 18 and 21 amps.
>
> I totally understand your skepticism, the numbers don't work but I think there
> may be some sort of "Black Magic" in pushing a sailboat hull through a thick
> fluid and thin airfoils through a thin fluid.
>
> Boy that ought to go over well with this group :-)
>
> I look forward to you actually using your system and documenting your
> performance.
>
> Mark
> Santa Cruz
>
>
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@> wrote:
> >
> > Mark,
> >
> > You've posted these results before and the impressive part is that you pulled
> >140Ah (20A x 7hrs) out of 100Ah batteries and had some left over. While I am
> >not discounting your accomplishment, I would not recommend that other people
> >count on getting the same results from the same setup. If you share the
> >specific brand and model of battery that you are using, then more people here
> >can take advantage of these under-rated batteries.
> >
> > Fair winds,
> > Eric
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "acsarfkram" <acsarfkram@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Glenn,
> > >
> > > With my Ericson 27, (7000lbs before batteries) I have motored for 7 hrs at a
> >draw of 20 amps....
> > >
> > > During that trip I used only one of the two 48 volt 100 amp hr banks that I
> >have....
> > >
> > > I understand the theory dictates lower run times but I would be interested in
> >what people are getting in real life.
> > >
> > > Mark
> > > Santa Cruz
> > >
> > > >
> > > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Dennis" <vega1184@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > Eric
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks for the input, IMO the battery is key here.
> > > > >
> > > > > The actual power required to push the boat and the reserve capacity was
> >what I was unsure of. It's good to get advice from some one who has experience
> >in the field rather than just going it alone. Truthfully I had been more
> >interested in the mechanical part of the system and did not put much effort in
> >calculating the battery requirements. I was a little optimistic on range but I
> >could start with smaller pack and go larger later. L/A or AGM will certainly add
> >a lot of weight, maybe a smaller lithium pack, say 40 or 50 Ah and generator
> >(Hybrid) would be the way to go. Several things to consider and of course cost;
> >the boat although in very good shape is 39 years old.
> > > > >
> > > > > Glenn
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment