Saturday, November 27, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Converting an Albin 27

 

Hi Eric,

I've posted this before; 4 West Marine (East Penn) group 27's and 4 universal UB121100 group 30's.

It was dead calm when we motored for this long. We had the main up the entire time and tried varying amounts of headsail (we had a lot of time to play around :-). When the headsail was unfurled we would keep weight to leaward which would keep the sail somewhat full. I think you do get "lift" from the sail in this configuration like an aircraft but That's just my "feeling" I have no proof. My PakTrakr is down below so I do not constantly see my current draw and I was using the GPS at the helm and keeping the speed at 3 knots. Every time I checked the amp usage it was between 18 and 21 amps.

I totally understand your skepticism, the numbers don't work but I think there may be some sort of "Black Magic" in pushing a sailboat hull through a thick fluid and thin airfoils through a thin fluid.

Boy that ought to go over well with this group :-)

I look forward to you actually using your system and documenting your performance.

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
> Mark,
>
> You've posted these results before and the impressive part is that you pulled 140Ah (20A x 7hrs) out of 100Ah batteries and had some left over. While I am not discounting your accomplishment, I would not recommend that other people count on getting the same results from the same setup. If you share the specific brand and model of battery that you are using, then more people here can take advantage of these under-rated batteries.
>
> Fair winds,
> Eric
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "acsarfkram" <acsarfkram@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Glenn,
> >
> > With my Ericson 27, (7000lbs before batteries) I have motored for 7 hrs at a draw of 20 amps....
> >
> > During that trip I used only one of the two 48 volt 100 amp hr banks that I have....
> >
> > I understand the theory dictates lower run times but I would be interested in what people are getting in real life.
> >
> > Mark
> > Santa Cruz
> >
> > >
> > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Dennis" <vega1184@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Eric
> > > >
> > > > Thanks for the input, IMO the battery is key here.
> > > >
> > > > The actual power required to push the boat and the reserve capacity was what I was unsure of. It's good to get advice from some one who has experience in the field rather than just going it alone. Truthfully I had been more interested in the mechanical part of the system and did not put much effort in calculating the battery requirements. I was a little optimistic on range but I could start with smaller pack and go larger later. L/A or AGM will certainly add a lot of weight, maybe a smaller lithium pack, say 40 or 50 Ah and generator (Hybrid) would be the way to go. Several things to consider and of course cost; the boat although in very good shape is 39 years old.
> > > >
> > > > Glenn
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment