Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Stiletto conversion

 

You could try just adding the weight of the batteries first before taking the plunge
Richard.

--- On Tue, 11/30/10, Dave Kellogg <inganear1@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Dave Kellogg <inganear1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Stiletto conversion
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Received: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 2:13 PM

 

Eric,  I do know what you are talking about poundage wise and I plan on sailing myself silly just the way she is before making any significant changes...  I've got an 8 hp Johnson 2 stroke right now and a 3 gal tank...    if I go electric and I probably will it will be with a LiPo pack and an Etek, I have 4 motors to choose from, 3 brush and 1 brushless.   I don't run around any more, don't drink or spend time chasing things that I know I don't want so I spend my money on the passions that I have, sailing and electric projects..  got to love what you're doing...    This stiletto 26 is a conversion built by one of the engineers wanting to make a week long camping, beach-able cat with sleep aboard capabilities...  The design never took off  but the boat is solid and I like it, with a few astatic changes it could be a great looking boat, so far the performance is good but I haven't really pushed her.   I am in the process of building a new boom because I picked up an F24 mainsail the other day and I need 12 Ft and only have 10 on the boom...  should be fun with that roachie monster on board..   I also have a 20 meter sailkite that I want to try, have you ever seen one of these on a boat first hand?    I've seen them on Utube, actually on a 24 tri in Hawaii....   Dave K   Thanks for the welcome to the fast side of the tracks..  chuckle

--- On Tue, 11/30/10, Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Stiletto conversion
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 1:33 PM

I couldn't find any specs for a Stiletto 26 but the 27's range from 1100 pounds for the base model to the 27SE at 1550 pounds.  Coming from a mono, you probably won't mind sacrificing the 22kt top speed, but you will find that these boats don't handle extra weight very well.  This includes tacking and regular sailing.

I know I've said similar things before, but imagine your boat with a regular engine (a less than 10hp outboard in your case) and a gas tank that only holds one gallon.  Convert the drive to electric and the one gallon gas tank weighs more than 500 pounds in AGM or FLA batteries.  Cut the weight in half and the tank gets reduced by about 60% due to Peukert's Effect.  So for the weight of a fairly hefty crewman, you get the equivalent of a little more than 6 cups of gas.

If that is OK, great.  I only bring this up so that you can understand the tradeoff.  I suggest that you sail the boat as is, before you convert it, just to get a feel for a performance multi.

One of the original proponents for ULDB boats, Bill Lee, said it best, "Fast is Fun!" and I have observed that lighter is faster.  Welcome to the dark side....

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment