Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Re: AW: [Electric Boats] Re: New guy Questions

 

Robbie
 
What are you using for an electric motor system? any details boat displacement, battery size, motor size?
Aaron


From: hob tonn <marlborosounds@yahoo.de>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, November 24, 2010 7:26:10 AM
Subject: AW: [Electric Boats] Re: New guy Questions

 

G'day People.
I hope that this will not turn up in everyones spam box.
I believe that if people wish to change to electric power then they should do just that, without
people trying to talk them out of it or showing the negative side of things.
I have found in the past that what didnt work for other worked perfect for me and visa versa.
Some speak of regen, yes If your a weekend sailor and only go out for two hours a day or thats the max
distance that you sail, yes Regen is out. But if you just motor out of a slip you can leave and not use 2% of your  battery bank aswell , depending on how big your marina is.
 
I have electric on my 42' ketch, I wouldnt trade it for a zillion desiel or gas engines. Im not a weekend sailor.
I will cross again the pacific in the boat. As we all should remember sail boats have no engines. Only a secondary being said that the Wind and Sails are your Primary. Are we sailboats or are we power boats?
 
Do we wish to sail or do we wish to run the engine at 5knts  and play the part. I kno in case of emergencies
engines are a delight. But what did people do 55 years ago? Not even a VHF to cry into or a SSB.  And
Cell Phones were only a reality in a Dick Tracy Show.
 
People if you wish to have electric get electric. What didnt work for me doesnt mean it will not work for you.
Maybe you will be the one who revolutionizes batteries or a new style of electric motor. I love my electric boat.
And when people are in the doldrums  afraid to run thier desiel or gas engines due to the fact they wish to save the petro to motor in to the islands. I can move along at a few knts per hour with no wind all day long. even if its 1 knot per hour under power and direction, thats 24 knots further than most will be and some times even more depending on what direction they are drifting. Also moving at 1knot per hour a person could run many hours befor even using up 50% of a 48vt bank.
 
So all the Killjoy's out there, Let the people be who they are and maybe one of them will invent something that you will purchase in a few years for your boating fun.
 
Cheers
Robbie
S/V Qwave
 
 

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment