Sunday, July 18, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] System Efficiency

 

I am no expert but will throw a few items out there from my experience.

My boat is an 18 ft Slipper launch. I have a 5 HP electric submersible.
I currently have 4 Lifeline batteries (smallest size) wired in series. 
I cruise at 3.5-4 mph subject to passenger load when pulling 10 amps.
My max speed is 7 mph.
If I run at 10 amps I can easily run for 3 hours. I have not gathered enough data yet to know how far I can push it time wise.
I am still trying to gather performance data on my boat so I have a better idea on what I can safely expect. On one hand I wish I had gone the simplicity route although there is some degree of comfort in seeing 50.3 volts on my meter when fully charged and being able to watch my voltage and amperage as I operate. As an example I would have had a lot more trouble figuring I had caused a pin prick leak in one of my AGM's which was draining my whole bank and performance if I did not have the monitoring. There are a couple of these motors Ventus is another that would probably do fine as submersibles.
The inboard route does have lots of advantages in simplicity. I hope my motor seal is good for a long time. Would hate to think what happens if it ever leaks.
I was just looking at the website for Adirondack electric boat in Seneca Falls NY. He is building a 16 ft double ender. I think the website says 2 or 3 HP motor and and Lead acid batteries with similar performance to mine.
On Jul 18, 2010, at 2:50 PM, neophytesg@aol.com wrote:

 


Thanks for the responses.  In trying to simplify my question, I over-simplified ... my bad.  When I mentioned the alternator setup, I was trying to find an appropriate simple analog, hence the word "akin".  So, let me try again using full disclosure.

This winter I intend to start building a small wood runabout in the style of the 50s/60s era Chriscraft Sportsman, scaled to ~2/3 (12'-14') to be used as a lake boat.  By using a 12v or 24v system I can use less expensive EV motors & controllers, some of which I already have.  I could go with an off-the-shelf 12/24v trolling motor/saildrive or similar but I want to keep with the inboard setup that's true to the style of the boat.

All I really need and expect on a regular basis is 2-3knots for 2-4 hours but there will be times when there won't be access to grid power for 2-3 days.  I could go with the smallest commercial 110v genset I could lay my hands on and a standard charger, but figured I'd be right back to efficiencies on or near par with automotive alternators.  However, I can build a relatively optimized small 12-24v genset using a smaller EV motor and solar charge controller that would be less expensive and theoretically should be more efficient.  Am I missing something?

Warm regards
Shawn

************

If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against.
The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease.
--Sent-ts'an, c. 700CE




__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment