Thursday, July 22, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Dual Pro Output current.

 

The Dual Pro (PS4) is indeed capable of 15 amps per channel. If the 4 channels are wired in series (which they are if connected to 4 batteries in series), then it can supply 15 amps at 48 volts. I don't think the problem is one of overheating that was mentioned earlier. It is that the dual pro was designed as a battery charger. It has microprocessors that monitor the batteries. A motor drawing 15 amps at 48 volts does *not* look like a healthy battery to the microprocessors. The dual pro will shut down with an error because it is not making any progress charging the batteries. It knows something is wrong. If you want to run your motor from a 48 volt power supply, I recommend buying one rather than using a charger.

Pat

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "hardy71uk" <p0054107@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Mike . i thought you have a PS4 . On their website Dual pro rate this at 15 amps each output . It maybe that motoring at 15 amps puts a higher strain on the charger than just 15A charging batteries. Wheras the zivan has a higher rating so is not so affected.
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++==+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> PS1 One 15-Amp Bank 15 Amps 5.00"H x 8.25"W x 6.38"L 7.00 lbs. 12V
> PS2 Two 15-Amp Banks 30 Amps 6.00"H x 8.25"W x 9.50"L 14.50 lbs. 12V, 24V
> PS3 Three 15-Amp Banks 45 Amps 6.00"H x 8.25"W x 13.00"L 22.50 lbs. 12V - 36V
> PS4 Four 15-Amp Banks 60 Amps 7.25"H x 8.25"W x 15.78"L 29.80 lbs. 12V - 48V
>
> Chris S
>
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Capt. Mike" <biankablog@> wrote:
> >
> > "From what I understand the draw rate with the Dual Pro is around 10 amps at 110 Volts and I typically cruise pulling 15 amps on my 48 Volt bank?"
> >
> > Sam:
> >
> > Be careful about confusing Ac amps into the charger input vs DC Amps on the output. This is an issue I've been wondering about. I have a feeling the Dual Pro does not charge the bank as fast as the zivan. If the Dual Pro is pulling 10 AC amps from the Honda I am assuming all four batteries in the 48 volt bank are discharged about the same amount . This should be divided evenly between the four individual charges meaning each individual charger is getting 2.5 AC amps. I have not seen a circuit diagram of the Dual pro but, judging from it's weight it seems it has some pretty hefty step down transformers inside. Which will lower the AC voltage but, increase the current on the output of the transformers. I know my Zivan is providing 16 amps DC into the battery bank as measured on my XBM battery monitor.  I just don't think the Dual Pro is providing all that much current into each battery and so seems to take much longer charging using the Honda. But, I have not as yet measured it. I don't think each charger in the Dual Pro would be capable of providing the 15 Amps dc you require for cruising. If it were to be used as a power supply for motoring. I welcome other comments on this from those who may know more about the Dual Pro and it's circuitry.
> >
> > Capt. Mike
> > Sent from on board BIANKA
> > http://biankablog.blogspot.com
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Samuel Shallard <sshallard@>
> > Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:26:07
> > To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>; Capt Mike<biankablog@>
> > Reply-to: electricboats@: Re: [Electric Boats] Wiring issue
> >
> > I also have a Honda EU 2000 and had been wondering how it would work
> > if I plugged the Dual Pro into it when operating the boat to provide
> > for extended cruising time. It sounds like you have done that with
> > the Zivan. Have you done it with the Dual Pro? I always have a fear
> > of blowing something up but thought it should work. Electricity is
> > not my strong suite and I am probably the last person that should be
> > building and running an electric boat.
> > From what I understand the draw rate with the Dual Pro is around 10
> > amps at 110 Volts and I typically cruise pulling 15 amps on my 48
> > Volt bank?
> > On Jul 21, 2010, at 8:25 AM, Capt. Mike wrote:
> >
> > > I have two different battery charging systems on board. I have the
> > > 48 volt ZIVAN NG--1 that plugs into the controller to charge the
> > > whole bank. I also added a Dual Pro PS-4 that charges each
> > > individual battery. I'm finding they both have their uses on board.
> > > With the ZIVAN and the Honda 2000 generator I can push my boat at
> > > about 3 knots without drawing any current from the battery. I
> > > bought the Dual Pro because I was concerned about the balancing
> > > issue of the individual batteries. For reasons I have not yet fully
> > > explored it seems to me that the ZIVan seems to charge the bank
> > > faster than the Dual Pro. This would not be a problem when
> > > connected to the grid at a dock. But, since I'm usually on a
> > > mooring or at anchor. Generator running time is more of a concern.
> > > My plan is to now use the ZIVAN to bulk charge the bank. Once it
> > > switches to the second stage (pulse) charging I will switch to the
> > > Dual Pro to balance the pack.
> > >
> > > Capt. Mike
> > >
> > > Sent from on board BIANKA
> > > http://biankablog.blogspot.com
> > >
> > > From: Samuel Shallard <sshallard@>
> > > Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > > Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 06:07:28 -0400
> > > To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
> > > ReplyTo: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > > Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Wiring issue
> > >
> > >
> > > Interesting discussion and one I went through when I put my system
> > > together.
> > >
> > > When I was planning my installation I had this same discussion with
> > > the engineer's at DualPro and Lifeline batteries. Initially the
> > > Lifeline response was that I could not do it, Dual Pro we do it all
> > > the time. I finally managed to get the two parties to communicate
> > > and they agreed that no disconnect was needed. What in part was
> > > interesting was that I was talking to two electrical engineers who
> > > deal with batteries and charging systems for the livelihood.
> > > I have been operating the system this way for several years now-I
> > > leave the charger connected year round when I am not boating - and
> > > everything seems to operate flawlessly. I see no noticeable change
> > > in my home power consumption either
> > >
> > > On Jul 21, 2010, at 5:25 AM, hardy71uk wrote:
> > >
> > >>
> > >> Not so . providing the 48 volt line is switched off and the
> > >> charger output does not share a common earth with the 48 volt pack
> > >> its quite ok to charge each 12 volt battery one at a time with a
> > >> single charger without splitting the pack into 12 volt units.
> > >> Modern chargers are often fully floating ( earth free) but some
> > >> may be earthed to the line power plug . In that case be sure that
> > >> the the 48 volt pack is not earthed back to the line plug earth too.
> > >>
> > >> Chris S
> > >>
> > >> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@> wrote:
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >> >
> > >> > Charging your bank with a single 12V charger requires that you
> > >> disconnect the bank into 12V sections before charging. Trying to
> > >> charge pieces of the bank while connected doesn't work well. In
> > >> this case, the uncharged batteries pull current from the charging
> > >> battery causing the charger to sense a higher load than the
> > >> battery that it is hooked to. This causes the charger to continue
> > >> pushing high current after the target battery is close to full.
> > >> This leads to higher heat and wear on the target battery.
> > >> >
> > >> > Let me know if you need any additional info.
> > >> >
> > >> > Fair winds,
> > >> > Eric
> > >> > Marina del Rey, CA
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Samuel Shallard
> > >> <sshallard@> wrote:
> > >> > >
> > >> > > I am sure there are folks more knowledgeable that I but I
> > >> would think
> > >> > > you have multiple options.
> > >> > > I have 4 12 volts wired in series 48 Volt system and use a single
> > >> > > DualPro 4 bank charger. It charges each battery separately even
> > >> > > though the batteries remain wired in series. It is probably
> > >> the Rolls
> > >> > > Royce system but operationally is foolproof and all I do is
> > >> connect
> > >> > > the power cord. It pulls around 10 amps max.
> > >> > > The cheapest way would be to have a single bank charger and
> > >> switch
> > >> > > from battery to battery as each one charges.
> > >> > > On Jul 20, 2010, at 6:17 PM, adamgoforth7701 wrote:
> > >> > >
> > >> > > > I have a boat that i am looking at that is not charging. It
> > >> is a 48
> > >> > > > volt system. It has two banks of 24volts (4 6v batteries).
> > >> How to i
> > >> > > > charge all batteries off of one charger?
> > >> > > >
> > >> > > >
> > >> > >
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment