Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Electra Craft battery drain

 

Thanks, Chris!

That's a great idea. I've got circuit breakers for all the accessories and access to the switches for all the lights, so I should be able to narrow my search down quite a bit. I'm also thinking about putting a key switch on the 12v system so it can be shut down easily when the boat is not being used. At the least, it would buy me time to find the problem and still be able to use the boat without having to regularly re-charge the 2 batteries that are used for the 12v system.
Thanks very much for your help!
Robert Newport

On Jul 28, 2010, at 1:21 AM, hardy71uk wrote:

 

I think i would put a meter in the battery lead to measure current and then disconnect circuits in turn until the current drops .You can disconnect some circuits by opening circuit breakers .
chris S

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "out2lunchrightnow" <rnewport@...> wrote:
>
> I've got a 16' Electra Craft Baycruiser that's 15 years old. We just put new batteries in it this spring. The front 2 batteries that power the 12v circuit have gone completely dead. They've been recharged, but are showing some loss again. The socket where shore power plugs in shorted out and has been replaced and the wiring cleaned up. Does anyone have any ideas where the 12v power drain could be coming from and how would I find it? I've pulled out the accessory outlet and the switch panel for the lights so I can check continuity, but none of the circuit breakers on the charger panel in the bow have ever popped out and they all look to be wired cleanly. Before the socket shorted out, the female end of the cord was fused to the socket and had to be cut off so the socket could be replaced, so I'm thinking that could have caused some wire on the 12v circuit to short out and still be causing the drain. I don't want to rewire the entire boat, so how would I find out where the drain is coming from?
> Thanks very much for any answers or feedback!
> Robert Newport
>


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment