Monday, July 26, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] SOLAR & WIND NUMBERS

 

Kevin:

I sail most of the time in salt water. Though I have taken the boat to canada in the diesel days in fresh water. I'm very happy with my system and performance. I am just about to add a second 48 volt panel which will just about complete my installation plans.

Capt. Mike

Sent from on board BIANKA
http://biankablog.blogspot.com


From: Kevin Sweeney <kps657@yahoo.com>
Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 17:40:40 -0700 (PDT)
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] SOLAR WIND NUMBERS

 

Do you sail lake or salt? Are you satisfied with your choice?
thanks
kps

--- On Sun, 7/25/10, Capt. Mike <biankablog@verizon.net> wrote:

From: Capt. Mike <biankablog@verizon.net>
Subject: [Electric Boats] SOLAR & WIND NUMBERS
To: "ELECTRIC BOAT GROUP" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sunday, July 25, 2010, 9:47 AM

 

I thought I'd share with the group some real world experience with the solar and wind charging systems on my boat. It will give you an idea of what to expect. I needed to drop off the mooring and head to the dock for water and supplies.
After returning to the mooring I had used according to the XBM battery monitor 5.5 amp hours. The capacity had dropped to 96%. It was around 2PM. There was no real wind so charging for most of the afternoon was primarily via the 60 watt solar panel. In the evening a line of thunder storms came through. The Marine AirX wind generator kicked in about 1 to 1.5 amps only in the higher gusts. After the storms passed the wind died again. The next day there again was no wind. So charging was again primarily solar. By 4pm about 26 hours after I returned to the mooring the XBM was registering 99.5% capacity. I hope this helps when thinking about adding solar and wind charging systems.

Capt. Mike
Sent from on board BIANKA
http://biankablog.blogspot.com


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment