Saturday, July 31, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Electra Craft battery drain

 

Another tip - buy two (even the cheap ones can usually be paralleled) - they are not marine-grade and prone to failure - this gives you a backup as well as higher total capacity.

-Keith

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Robert Newport <rnewport@...> wrote:
>
> Hi, Chris
> I also got a suggestion from Able Roberts in Thailand to put a 36v -
> 12v converter on the boat so that power would draw evenly from all 6
> batteries instead of just the front 2.
> I found a 15 amp, 180 watt converter online for only $29.50, and with
> that I can wire the accessories directly into the key switch for the
> 36v motor so that everything on the boat shuts off when the key is
> removed.
> I'm still going to check each accessory individually as you
> suggested, and between both ideas, I'll either find the problem and
> fix it, or just make it go away until I can find it.
> I'm a happy guy!
> Thanks again for your assistance.
> Regards,
> Robert
>
> On Jul 29, 2010, at 1:53 AM, hardy71uk wrote:
>
> > glad to be of help . Even with nothing connected lead acid charge
> > will graually leak away so ideally they need a small charge every
> > month or so .
> >
> > Chris S
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Robert Newport <rnewport@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks, Chris!
> > > That's a great idea. I've got circuit breakers for all the
> > > accessories and access to the switches for all the lights, so I
> > > should be able to narrow my search down quite a bit. I'm also
> > > thinking about putting a key switch on the 12v system so it can be
> > > shut down easily when the boat is not being used. At the least, it
> > > would buy me time to find the problem and still be able to use the
> > > boat without having to regularly re-charge the 2 batteries that are
> > > used for the 12v system.
> > > Thanks very much for your help!
> > > Robert Newport
> > >
> > > On Jul 28, 2010, at 1:21 AM, hardy71uk wrote:
> > >
> > > > I think i would put a meter in the battery lead to measure current
> > > > and then disconnect circuits in turn until the current drops .You
> > > > can disconnect some circuits by opening circuit breakers .
> > > > chris S
> > > >
> > > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "out2lunchrightnow"
> > > > <rnewport@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > I've got a 16' Electra Craft Baycruiser that's 15 years old. We
> > > > just put new batteries in it this spring. The front 2 batteries
> > > > that power the 12v circuit have gone completely dead. They've been
> > > > recharged, but are showing some loss again. The socket where shore
> > > > power plugs in shorted out and has been replaced and the wiring
> > > > cleaned up. Does anyone have any ideas where the 12v power drain
> > > > could be coming from and how would I find it? I've pulled out the
> > > > accessory outlet and the switch panel for the lights so I can
> > check
> > > > continuity, but none of the circuit breakers on the charger panel
> > > > in the bow have ever popped out and they all look to be wired
> > > > cleanly. Before the socket shorted out, the female end of the cord
> > > > was fused to the socket and had to be cut off so the socket could
> > > > be replaced, so I'm thinking that could have caused some wire on
> > > > the 12v circuit to short out and still be causing the drain. I
> > > > don't want to rewire the entire boat, so how would I find out
> > where
> > > > the drain is coming from?
> > > > > Thanks very much for any answers or feedback!
> > > > > Robert Newport
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment