Monday, July 19, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] hull design

 

Nedfarinholt,
your spefications list reveals that you are quite an expert in elboat
hull design! You should better tell us how to do it, but not to ask how
to do it! Gratulations.

In fact, my elboat project is very similar. I runned several hull drag
simulations using Michlet tool, and my lenght to beam spec is about 8,
and hull lenght ia about 9.5 m (29 feet).

One reference is "czeers" boat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WepYoOJQf4
http://www.gizmag.com/the-worlds-first-solar-speedboat-czeers-mk1/9372/
www.czeers.com/czeers_info.pdf
Note the flares! Water line beam width is small compared to deck beam
width! Unfortunately they would not tell, what is the beam at water
level? Stability is not an issue because of heavy batteries. Here they
adopted 100kW and 30 knots maximum, but practical figures are about 10
kW and 12 knots.

redu

On 07/19/2010 10:55 PM, nedfarinholt wrote:
> I am interested in building an electric runabout and would like help on hull design. Here are the basic requirements:
> Less than 30 feet in length, preferably 25'
> Strip hull construction
> Sufficient beam to accommodate two persons side by side, at least 3', prefer 4'
> Sufficient stability to handle a broach in 3' chop or powerboat wake.
> Prefer monohull.
> Cruising speed above 10 knots.
> Cruising duration 3 hours at 10 knots.
> Would like to accomplish the above with less than 600 lbs LA batteries.
>
> I understand the tradeoffs among battery chemistries, motor, and controller types.
> What I want help with is hull design. The trade offs between length to beam ratio, drafts, and hull geometry. I have purchased plans for 20 to 30 foot canoes and Atkin's Sergeant Faunce utility. By increasing the freeboard and decking the canoes, I think I can handle the open water, but my real issue is how much must I increase the L/B ratio to overcome the 1.3xsq rt of waterline? I would rather not go as far as the guy in the Wye Island marathon who used a 50' rowing scull!
>
> Any ideas or experience or can you refer me to some sites or literature. I have already scoured the web pretty thoroughly.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment