Monday, July 19, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Keeping it simple....hmmmm!

 

John:

Having a machinist background is certainly a plus and keeping it simple is a good goal. But, if you are going to be sticking to the idea of using switches to control the motors remember they had better be able to handle the max amount of current you expect draw and then some. You don't want the contacts to open up or worse fuse closed. You mentioned being able to push a boat in. Marina easily. Try doing it in a 10 to 15 plus knot wind or a 2 knot current. All I'm saying is respect the forces of nature and make sure you don't undersize your system. Only to regret it when you really need it. Like in a thunderstorms that could roll through your anchorage at 30 mph.

Capt. Mike

Sent from on board BIANKA
http://biankablog.blogspot.com


From: "John Green" <v_2jgree@operamail.com>
Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 02:38:44 +0100
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Keeping it simple....hmmmm!

 

Wow! I am suddenly getting answers/knowledge, thats great, and appreciated.
Certainly enough to decide how to proceed.
The boat is 6500 pounds, and I am on the Atlantic coast. The Yacht Club I use has a mooring, not a dock, at least for the amount I have available to spend! I have no idea whatsoever how to sail a boat yet. Yes, price is a biggie I am on a small pension plus whatever I can steal from my wife. I would be expecting that my usage would be to get away from danger if I make a mistake, and, as noted, to get 'docked' or in my case, up to a mooring, which I hope to eventually gain enough skill to do with sails. I also figure on having oars, in fact, I believe that I legally have to. I also might presumably need to suddenly use reverse to slow the boat down. My main reason for going electric would be to get the fire risk and stink lowered, (although of course carrying a generator means I carry gas as well), and another reason is to get rid of the stink and oil inside the boat living area. The gennie could be carried in the cockpit under a cover. And long runs could be possible by running the gennie while under way?
Regarding the Mayans, I believe we might all be doomed as of 2012? But for now I will assume that we might not, as I have a boat to get going.
I agree with Eric, looking at installations that are ready made, well designed, and new and shiny, they seem very expensive, and the easy cheap way to go is with a fossil fuel engine, it has good range, and the capability to charge batteries for other uses. And if it turns out that I can get the Atomic 4 running easily, that will be my first and immediate choice, to play for time while I build up a bank of batteries.
Captain Mike, thanks for the info that a straight switch COULD be used. I would not use it with a car, but I figure that a prop slipping (cavitating?) in water is not as hard on the drivetrain as a car spinning tires. I know that 'jogging' the motor, like with a push button will create stress loads, but the installation should be strong enough to take it, maybe. I am a former machinist, so can make stuff up for mechanical things.
On the matter of a few small motors versus one bigger one, the smaller ones are radically cheaper, but then there is the cost of coupling them up. And it seems I would need about 6 or 8 of them for my weight of boat. But could start with maybe 4? But it gives redundancy, too. I was thinking of using toothed belts that are the stock method when such motors are used in bikes and scooters.
I understand how you feel Jeff, but the upgrading of info to more tech detail is natural as a person gets more knowledge, but it seems that there is a willingness here to go simple if asked.
Right now after reading Keiths linked pages, (thanks for that - more or less exactly what I was looking for!- thanks also to John for the www.electricyacht.com address, again, good info.) I think it is too much trouble for too little return, this is looking at it as a 'quick' process....... but over a longer term, it would no doubt be easier and with better results. Right now, I have nothing, my engine does not even have an alternator! So, if I had batteries already installed, then the progression might be OK.
As far as charging goes, my end idea would probably be a wind generator, the domestic ones are reasonably priced, and no doubt could be encased better for use in a marine environment.
And I understand that there are RV thingies that allow a second battery to take the charge once the main engine starting battery is fully charged, so maybe that system could be used in a chain of 3 batteries? If not, the 3 12 v batteries could be set up in parallel for charging. I have no doubt that the windcharging info should be easy to get hold of from the manufacturer.
I will keep the solar panels out of it for now - maybe figure out how to drive the darn thing first, then worry about the charging aspect, but I will take a look at them and see if anyone at the store has any knowledge, at my next local shopping opportunity.
I have tried to make enquiries online, but emails get ignored, I guess they just want the 'shopping cart' filled.
Doug, I look forward to hearing how the trolling motor manages. That would be another way to get me slowly set up, if I could get a couple of them, and then build up the battery bank, before adding the inboard electric motor. Or maybe I can buy your Atomic 4! Right now I am located in an inlet. Like a tidal lake, so trolling motors might just be useable, remembering that I prefer to have backup to the sails due to not knowing how to sail yet. During the learning, I will not be going out of the narrower channel to the Atlantic proper.
So, for now, no point in trying.....but still interested. I might get started by buying a Minnkota or similar, (wonder how many watts they are?) and play with it on a dinghy.
I have to admit, part of this whole thing is a desire to fiddle with it, it really is fascinating.
Finally, out of interest, what loads are we talking of, as far as thrust goes? I tried pushing a 4 or 5000 lb sailboat at the dock, and it moved with only a few pounds pressure. The idea of one Kw per ton means what in the way of thrust required per ton? I am trying to get comparison to 30 lb from a trolling motor, I expect when I get this, I will probably draw the same conclusion - that they are not really a viable option. But, interesting to see figures.

I really appreciate getting the info needed to allow it all to be put onto my backburner for now, thanks everyone.

John

--
_______________________________________________
Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment