Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Wiring issue

 


Perhaps Lifeline were being cautious . They realise that they cant give a blanket yes to the question because of possible unknown connections such as the earth (ground ) problem I mention.
4 batteries sitting on the bench would be fine but in a real boat you need to know whats connected to what.

Chris S

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Samuel Shallard <sshallard@...> wrote:
>
> Interesting discussion and one I went through when I put my system
> together.
> When I was planning my installation I had this same discussion with
> the engineer's at DualPro and Lifeline batteries. Initially the
> Lifeline response was that I could not do it, Dual Pro we do it all
> the time. I finally managed to get the two parties to communicate and
> they agreed that no disconnect was needed. What in part was
> interesting was that I was talking to two electrical engineers who
> deal with batteries and charging systems for the livelihood.
> I have been operating the system this way for several years now-I
> leave the charger connected year round when I am not boating - and
> everything seems to operate flawlessly. I see no noticeable change in
> my home power consumption either
>
> On Jul 21, 2010, at 5:25 AM, hardy71uk wrote:
>
> > Not so . providing the 48 volt line is switched off and the charger
> > output does not share a common earth with the 48 volt pack its
> > quite ok to charge each 12 volt battery one at a time with a single
> > charger without splitting the pack into 12 volt units.
> > Modern chargers are often fully floating ( earth free) but some may
> > be earthed to the line power plug . In that case be sure that the
> > the 48 volt pack is not earthed back to the line plug earth too.
> >
> > Chris S
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@> wrote:
> > >
> >
> > >
> > > Charging your bank with a single 12V charger requires that you
> > disconnect the bank into 12V sections before charging. Trying to
> > charge pieces of the bank while connected doesn't work well. In
> > this case, the uncharged batteries pull current from the charging
> > battery causing the charger to sense a higher load than the battery
> > that it is hooked to. This causes the charger to continue pushing
> > high current after the target battery is close to full. This leads
> > to higher heat and wear on the target battery.
> > >
> > > Let me know if you need any additional info.
> > >
> > > Fair winds,
> > > Eric
> > > Marina del Rey, CA
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Samuel Shallard
> > <sshallard@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I am sure there are folks more knowledgeable that I but I would
> > think
> > > > you have multiple options.
> > > > I have 4 12 volts wired in series 48 Volt system and use a single
> > > > DualPro 4 bank charger. It charges each battery separately even
> > > > though the batteries remain wired in series. It is probably the
> > Rolls
> > > > Royce system but operationally is foolproof and all I do is
> > connect
> > > > the power cord. It pulls around 10 amps max.
> > > > The cheapest way would be to have a single bank charger and switch
> > > > from battery to battery as each one charges.
> > > > On Jul 20, 2010, at 6:17 PM, adamgoforth7701 wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I have a boat that i am looking at that is not charging. It
> > is a 48
> > > > > volt system. It has two banks of 24volts (4 6v batteries).
> > How to i
> > > > > charge all batteries off of one charger?
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment