Wednesday, July 21, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Keeping It Simple

 

Here is Minn Kota's amp draw page, http://www.minnkotamotors.com/_ui/sramk08/tpl/sramk_nohero_banner_pressrelease_single.aspx?id=3109

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "sirdarnell" <sirdarnell@...> wrote:
>
> I did not see on Minn-Kota's website how many amps their 30 lb thrust motor uses. So e-mail them and ask how many amps the motor draws at max power. Then from the info on the particular battery you have determine how long that battery can provide that much power until it is 80% discharged. Trojan makes 8 different 12 volt batteries designed for marine use. Each with very different run times with this motor. Or after hearing from Minn-kota ask a battery company how long their deep cycle battery X can provide that much power without going below 80% discharge.
>
> BTW gas/diesel engines can be run overloaded. Just put a bigger prop on the boat than the size that allows the motor to run at max rpms when at full throttle. They will run. If not too overloaded they may run for days, weeks, months or years, but not as long as if not overloaded. The same for electric motors.
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "John Green" <v_2jgree@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I have been a member of this group for a few weeks now, but am not getting the level of info I need. Does anyone know where I can get less technical info than discussions of the merits of different battery types, and amps drawn and similar?
> > The type of info I want is answers to simpler questions such as the following:
> > 1 Can I manage without a controller, and just switch a motor on or off the same as a vacuum cleaner or blender, maybe have a 6 volt supply available to give it a slower speed if needed?
> > 2 If I use a solar panel to charge a 12volt battery, how do I prevent overcharging, or does it automatically never overcharge?
> > 3 How do I set up a thrust bearing on the prop shaft?
> > 4 Can I use multiple lower powered motors for inboard use, such as those used on electric bicycles?
> > 5 What is the equivalent rate for HP of a gas outboard versus electric inboard - can I figure that I need 750 watts per HP, or does it not work like that, bearing in mind electric can be run overloaded?
> > 6 Can I use, say, 3 Minn-kota type trolling motors of about 30 lb thrust to power a 26 foot sailboat, if so, how many minutes of running will I get assuming I have 3 separate 12 volt deep cycle batteries?
> >
> > I hope that there is somewhere where the simpler things can be discussed of where there is an FAQ that I can use.
> > I have a 26 foot sailboat with a very old gas engine that I would like to dump rather than spend money on - I would prefer to spend it on a generator to charge the batteries. I have the sails for main power. But I don't know how to sail yet, and figure it will be safer with 'plan B' power available, such as gas or electric.
> > Any help appreciated,
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > _______________________________________________
> > Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
> > Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment