Sunday, July 18, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] System Efficiency

 


Thanks for the responses.  In trying to simplify my question, I over-simplified ... my bad.  When I mentioned the alternator setup, I was trying to find an appropriate simple analog, hence the word "akin".  So, let me try again using full disclosure.

This winter I intend to start building a small wood runabout in the style of the 50s/60s era Chriscraft Sportsman, scaled to ~2/3 (12'-14') to be used as a lake boat.  By using a 12v or 24v system I can use less expensive EV motors & controllers, some of which I already have.  I could go with an off-the-shelf 12/24v trolling motor/saildrive or similar but I want to keep with the inboard setup that's true to the style of the boat.

All I really need and expect on a regular basis is 2-3knots for 2-4 hours but there will be times when there won't be access to grid power for 2-3 days.  I could go with the smallest commercial 110v genset I could lay my hands on and a standard charger, but figured I'd be right back to efficiencies on or near par with automotive alternators.  However, I can build a relatively optimized small 12-24v genset using a smaller EV motor and solar charge controller that would be less expensive and theoretically should be more efficient.  Am I missing something?

Warm regards
Shawn

************

If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against.
The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease.
--Sent-ts'an, c. 700CE


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment