Friday, July 16, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Differences between battery technologies

 

I've seen those batteries Don talked about. They were part of a BIG UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) for whole building I worked in.  Each battery was 48 volts weighed about 400 pounds each was in a see through case so you could see all the plates.  Very nice. I liked the idea of one battery and just two connections. But, the size and the weight would probably not be practical for most eboat installations. It certainly was not for mine.  Still I wondered why regular 12 volts flooded batteries did not have see through cases like they did.
 
When it came time to install the batteries for my 30 foot sailboat electric propulsion conversion.
 
 I went with AGM . Why?
 
1) Because it was recommended by the seller of the system though they did also offer flooded and Gel choices too.
2) My previous experience with my original 12 volt flooded house bank was OK but, I have a number of shirts and pants with acid burn holes in them from topping off the batteries even when I thought I was careful in filling them.
3) I really did not like the idea if trying to check and fill the extra propulsion batteries with water in the confined space of their location on board.
 
I'm happy with my decision. I'm in my third year with the 48 volt battery bank and they are still holding up pretty good.  I am conservative in my use and discharging of them. I also have solar and wind to help in charging and keep things topped up. I try and keep them charged up as much as possible being on a mooring.
 
At the same time I installed electric propusion I also changed my two house bank batteries to GEL's. Why Gels? Because my 12 volt Promariner battery charger which was already installed had a switch for charging Gels or flooded only. What can I say I'm a "use what ya got and you won't need what you've not" kind of guy.:) They also seem to be holding up well to even though I am running an ENGEL refrigeration unit 24/7 for about five months of the year. One 75 watt solar panel for the most part keeps them topped up too. They were still making Gel batteries at least back in 2008 when I bought them. Though I probably would have gone with AGM's if I did not already have the existing charger. I must say it's real nice not having to worry about checking the water level of the batteries. Of course I'm  also keeping a close eye on the voltages of the pack and each individual battery. But, thanks to devices like the Paktracker it's very convenient to do this from inside the cabin.
 
Capt. Mike
 
 

  
 
.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment