Saturday, July 17, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Optima vs Lifeline

 



Mike,

The problem is that the Zivan is simply monitoring the entire string and not individual batteries. One of my NG3 Zivans has the latest V10 chip, but I freak out whenever I see one of the batteries going overvoltage (>15.6v) and thus I shut the Zivan down prematurely and don't let it "do its thing". As an intermediate rapid-charging technique I sometimes prefer to finish the charging by plugging in a bank of individual high-current chargers into those Anderson connectors.

For us, the electric Sparrows makes very practical daily local-driving vehicles, and I often hop onto the freeway and can go >65mph if I need to. For longer trips, the Gen1 Honda Insight (77.7mpg lifetime average) fits the bill nicely.

Inasmuch as on the boat I have a 500W solar system plus windgen and can have a very decent 12v housebank, for charging a boat 48v bank I'd be interested in using four isolated high-efficiency 12v-->12v smart chargers. Haven't done the homework yet to find them. Bulk charging an entire string is ok, but I always want to be able to finish-charge each battery individually.

JoeS.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Mike <biankablog@...> wrote:
>
> "First off, I agree that individual charging of each 12v battery in a string is mandatory. I've been appalled at the individual battery voltage variation of my Sparrow's 156v pack when using the Zivan for charging the string: as the entire pack voltage climbs over 180v during charging, some batteries approach or exceed 15v whereas others are still at 13.x volts."
>  
> Joe:
>         I was very interested in hearing about your experience in charging your Corbin bank. Certainly relevent to an electric boats too.  Is your Zivan a multistep pulse charger? My Zivan NG-1 seems to be at least from my observations on the current meter. I wonder if that would make any difference in your charging issues on the Corbin.
>        Just as an observation. Seems like Tom Corbin was about ten years ahead of his time. If they were still being made I'm sure the company  would have been able to get a bunch of "stimulas" money to stay afloat and expand today. Neat vehicle!
>  
> Capt. Mike
> http://biankablog.blogspot.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment