Monday, July 19, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Keeping It Simple

 

Try Doug Little's "Electric Boats". May be a little old and outdate on some things but the basics are prestented there. It could be out of print but I'm sure you can find copies. He supports the use of trolling motors mostly because they are cheap and available but he does speak of installed units. Torqeedo was not available at the time of the writing.

I to am somewhat a newbie. Although some of the questions do get hijacked, there is still a lot of good information here. Like with life, take what is helpfull and ignore the rest.

Be strong.
Dave

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "John Green" <v_2jgree@...> wrote:
>
> Hi, I have been a member of this group for a few weeks now, but am not getting the level of info I need. Does anyone know where I can get less technical info than discussions of the merits of different battery types, and amps drawn and similar?
> The type of info I want is answers to simpler questions such as the following:
> 1 Can I manage without a controller, and just switch a motor on or off the same as a vacuum cleaner or blender, maybe have a 6 volt supply available to give it a slower speed if needed?
> 2 If I use a solar panel to charge a 12volt battery, how do I prevent overcharging, or does it automatically never overcharge?
> 3 How do I set up a thrust bearing on the prop shaft?
> 4 Can I use multiple lower powered motors for inboard use, such as those used on electric bicycles?
> 5 What is the equivalent rate for HP of a gas outboard versus electric inboard - can I figure that I need 750 watts per HP, or does it not work like that, bearing in mind electric can be run overloaded?
> 6 Can I use, say, 3 Minn-kota type trolling motors of about 30 lb thrust to power a 26 foot sailboat, if so, how many minutes of running will I get assuming I have 3 separate 12 volt deep cycle batteries?
>
> I hope that there is somewhere where the simpler things can be discussed of where there is an FAQ that I can use.
> I have a 26 foot sailboat with a very old gas engine that I would like to dump rather than spend money on - I would prefer to spend it on a generator to charge the batteries. I have the sails for main power. But I don't know how to sail yet, and figure it will be safer with 'plan B' power available, such as gas or electric.
> Any help appreciated,
> Thanks,
> John
>
>
>
> --
> _______________________________________________
> Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
> Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment