Sunday, July 18, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Keeping It Simple

 

John
I am also relatively new to this site, several months now and due to all the great info provided here has convinced me to pull my Atomic 4 and install an electric system. I love all the techno talk because it will beni I am in the process of obtaining parts to set up and bench test everything before I remove the ICE. My A4 works pretty good but working on it is a bear due to limited access henceforth the desire to change it.
My boat is a Catalina 27 at around 6500lb displacement and is located on a lake/river so don't have to deal with strong current or rough seas.
I had some engine problems a few weeks ago and needed to get back to the slip- no wind and no engine so had to get a pull by a power boat(sheesh). I decided to try a trolling motor as a emergency back up. A buddy has lent me a small trolling motor(36lbs thrust) and I have made a temporary bracket for mounting on the back of the boat. Due to heat, travel and sickness I haven't yet been able to try it out. Soon though. I'll post my observations when I try it. I don't expect much from it but like to see it provides enough headway for steerage.
My main propulsion will be a 48V system consisting of Mars PMAC motor, Sevcon Gen 4 and a browning gear box with the possibility of using belt/pulley instead of the gearbox so I can change the ratio.
That's the plan anyway
Doug

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "John Green" <v_2jgree@...> wrote:
>
> Hi, I have been a member of this group for a few weeks now, but am not getting the level of info I need. Does anyone know where I can get less technical info than discussions of the merits of different battery types, and amps drawn and similar?
> The type of info I want is answers to simpler questions such as the following:
> 1 Can I manage without a controller, and just switch a motor on or off the same as a vacuum cleaner or blender, maybe have a 6 volt supply available to give it a slower speed if needed?
> 2 If I use a solar panel to charge a 12volt battery, how do I prevent overcharging, or does it automatically never overcharge?
> 3 How do I set up a thrust bearing on the prop shaft?
> 4 Can I use multiple lower powered motors for inboard use, such as those used on electric bicycles?
> 5 What is the equivalent rate for HP of a gas outboard versus electric inboard - can I figure that I need 750 watts per HP, or does it not work like that, bearing in mind electric can be run overloaded?
> 6 Can I use, say, 3 Minn-kota type trolling motors of about 30 lb thrust to power a 26 foot sailboat, if so, how many minutes of running will I get assuming I have 3 separate 12 volt deep cycle batteries?
>
> I hope that there is somewhere where the simpler things can be discussed of where there is an FAQ that I can use.
> I have a 26 foot sailboat with a very old gas engine that I would like to dump rather than spend money on - I would prefer to spend it on a generator to charge the batteries. I have the sails for main power. But I don't know how to sail yet, and figure it will be safer with 'plan B' power available, such as gas or electric.
> Any help appreciated,
> Thanks,
> John
>
>
>
> --
> _______________________________________________
> Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
> Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment