Monday, July 19, 2010

[Electric Boats] hull design

 

I am interested in building an electric runabout and would like help on hull design. Here are the basic requirements:
Less than 30 feet in length, preferably 25'
Strip hull construction
Sufficient beam to accommodate two persons side by side, at least 3', prefer 4'
Sufficient stability to handle a broach in 3' chop or powerboat wake.
Prefer monohull.
Cruising speed above 10 knots.
Cruising duration 3 hours at 10 knots.
Would like to accomplish the above with less than 600 lbs LA batteries.

I understand the tradeoffs among battery chemistries, motor, and controller types.
What I want help with is hull design. The trade offs between length to beam ratio, drafts, and hull geometry. I have purchased plans for 20 to 30 foot canoes and Atkin's Sergeant Faunce utility. By increasing the freeboard and decking the canoes, I think I can handle the open water, but my real issue is how much must I increase the L/B ratio to overcome the 1.3xsq rt of waterline? I would rather not go as far as the guy in the Wye Island marathon who used a 50' rowing scull!

Any ideas or experience or can you refer me to some sites or literature. I have already scoured the web pretty thoroughly.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment