Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] RE: Electric power for over 30'



Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions on this issue.

Some things that were not mentioned is that this Cal 35 has a "V"
Drive which puts the prop drive shaft very low in the engine area.
I have seen some pictures on this site that appear to use the V drive
transmission and some not.
Here's my question:
Should I use the V drive or just try and mount the drive unit of the
electric motor directly to the driveshaft?
Thanks


In a message dated 5/27/2009 10:53:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
iloveamercedes@aol.com writes:

Hello everyone!
I know there must be a thread for powering sailboats over 30' with
electric motors. Can someone direct me to it?
My sailboat is a Cal 35 Cruising. She is of 15,000 lbs. Displacement.
I think this project would need around 35 hp. She has a 4-108 Perkins of
'Claimed' 50HP hahahaha!
Anyway, with what little I know about this, I would need a bank of about 5
Golf Cart Batteries.
I also want to utilize Solar Panels as well as a Gas Power Generator.
So let me know how screwed up my ideas are so I can get an idea of where
to start here.
Thanks

**************Dinner Made Easy Newsletter - Simple Meal Ideas for Your
Family. Sign Up Now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221991367x1201443283/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215225819%3B37274678%3Bs%
3Fhttp:%2F%2Frecipes.dinnermadeeasy.com%2F%3FESRC%3D622)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment