Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] RE: Electric power for over 30'



Electric motors are rated at continuous hp under load. Combustion
engines are rated at peak hp with no load. You can not compare the
numbers directly. I keep seeing a rule of thumb (how true it is I
don't know) that you can times the electric hp by three at the voltage
used. The same electric motor would have two different hp rating at
different pack voltages, just to be extra confusing.

You can find a bunch of kits here in your size needs:

http://www.cloudelectric.com/

On May 27, 2009, at 10:07 AM, Dave Kellogg wrote:

>
>
> Tom, there are several projects completed and many underway in
> approximately your size range. 48 volt systems seem to be the
> normal voltage for most but some run on 36 volts. Look through the
> photo section, you'll find several to draw ideas from. There are
> several guys one the site that are building a business out of
> electric conversions making kits/pods and other things that may be
> of interest to you. My boat is a 30 ft ChrisCraft Capri sailboat
> that weighs in at 12000 lbs. I use a Etek brushed motor 8 hp and
> have the same bollard pull as a friend of mine on his 50 hp diesel,
> (a little over 300lbs), so you see it's not just rated Hp that does
> the job, it's also efficiency...
>
> Dave K
>
> --- On Tue, 5/26/09, Tom <iloveamercedes@aol.com> wrote:
>
> From: Tom <iloveamercedes@aol.com>
> Subject: [Electric Boats] RE: Electric power for over 30'
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 8:15 PM
>
> Hello everyone!
> I know there must be a thread for powering sailboats over 30'
> with electric motors. Can someone direct me to it?
> My sailboat is a Cal 35 Cruising. She is of 15,000 lbs. Displacement.
> I think this project would need around 35 hp. She has a 4-108
> Perkins of 'Claimed' 50HP hahahaha!
> Anyway, with what little I know about this, I would need a bank of
> about 5 Golf Cart Batteries.
> I also want to utilize Solar Panels as well as a Gas Power Generator.
> So let me know how screwed up my ideas are so I can get an idea of
> where to start here.
> Thanks
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Odd News

You won't believe

it, but it's true

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Yahoo! Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Discover auto groups

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment