Sunday, May 24, 2009

[Electric Boats] Any larger electric boat owners out there?



I see a lot of traffic on this list for smaller conversions replacing
A4's and such on 20-30 foot sail boats. Are there any folks that have
replaced larger motors on cruisers/trawlers?
I will be replacing two 427 fords (350hp gas engines) on a 41 foot
Chris-Craft. This if for a number of reasons including not wanting
the ongoing expense of buying gas, second I really hate the monstrous
complexity of combustion engines. I have a computer science/
electrical background so I am much much more knowledgeable and
comfortable with electrical systems. And not to mention the smell and
noise of combustion engines. The knowledge I lack right now is boat
related: prop size pitch ...etc...etc. I don't need the boat to plane
at 17 knots or anything like that, although if it does all the better.

My current thinking is to replace the fords with a pair of (Netgain
Warp 11'' or Transwarp 11'')'s. The part I can not rap my head
around is if I go direct drive with the Transwarp's will they spin the
props to fast? Or should I keep the transmissions that the fords are
bolt to now and go with the Warp's. I would prefer not to have the
extra complexity of the transmissions. The Netgains can move a large
truck at freeway speeds 70+ MPH. My understanding of the conversion of
electrical hp to combustion hp is at 144v these motors should be about
the equivalent of a 150-200 hp gas motors with considerable more
torque at the low end.

The boat will soon have a fairly large solar array and already has
7.5 KWH generator. So keeping the battery bank feed should not be a
problem. I know finding a solar charger/inverter for a 144v battery
pack will be a real challenge. Any recommendations are welcome. I
would also be very curious of other conversions of larger plaining
hull boats, and what motors you use and performance you get now. Also
any recommendations on motors/charges/controllers or kits for boats
this size would be most welcome.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Fashion News

What's the word on

fashion and style?

Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Weight Management Group

on Yahoo! Groups

Join the challenge

and lose weight.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment