Monday, May 25, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Conversion of Erickson27 Atomic-4 to Electric



It's a longish story, but recently discovered 1 with a nearly dry cell - probably had a current reversal on an already weak battery. Others in that bank are reading as 'replace' using a load-tester after running them down about 20% (in theory).

That particular bank was my original one that I drained nearly dry early on before I realized just how much Peukert affects things. So I took a chance, bought more and mixed old and new...probably now paying the price.

I use 12V chargers, diode protected, so hopefully no funny business going on with that.

Now the question is do I (again) buy some new batteries, and open up a the can of worms of mixing, or try to isolate the new ones until they have some cycles on them and then add them in -- anyone have opinions on that? I hate to trash the whole set since the other 8 are reading fine.

-Keith

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "acsarfkram" <acsarfkram@...> wrote:
>
> Keith,
>
> You wrote that you had some bad batteries. Can you expand on that?
>
> Thanks, Mark
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "skjenson@" <skjenson@> wrote:
> >
> > I understand your dilema having come from the yard.
> >
> > It was suggested in a most recent post that 30' is about the upper limit for electric for a sailboat. Sounds reasonable if you have 12 batteries and are on the upper limit for power/safety.
> >
> > Thanks for the input.
> >
> > Napa Scott
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "aweekdaysailor" <aweekdaysailor@> wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aja" is a 1978 Hunter 30 with a Mars motor and Sevcon controllor, and 12, 115AH batteries. I had depleted the batteries too far (even with on-deck generator) to have enough RPM on the prop to even push the bow into the wind. I made plenty of mistakes that day, including leaving a cotter pin off one of my new shrouds (the long trip was returning from the boatyard in Alameda) - which managed to pop - that prompted the call to Vessel Assist. I also have a crappy "unfurler" with a wicked sense of humor which tends to come out on windy days.
> > >
> > > My same rig on a faster, lighter boat like the Ericson would probably work pretty well. But the point of my first post on the subject is actually similar to yours - converting to electric brings a whole new set of factors into the already challenging sailing conditions in San Francisco. It can be done, and especially if you are in a nice short-haul harbor like Pier 39, or are single and can ignore clock and calendar. I don't have those luxuries so was probably not the best candidate for converting - other than personal interest.
> > >
> > > The decision to go electric in a sailboat is more complex than just learning about amps and watts. It is, as we both suggest, very much akin to the challenges in sailing engineless.
> > >
> > > BTW - I used to sail into my downwind slip in Richmond 100% of the time - that I had my engine in full reverse every time is of no consequence... :)
> > >
> > > -Keith
> > >
> > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "skjenson@" <skjenson@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Your criticism is fair enough, I don't have electric power yet and I wasn's there so I don't know all of the circumstances. Do you have electric power? If not, are you going to convert? Or would you have both?
> > > > Napa Scott
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "aweekdaysailor" <aweekdaysailor@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > If you think you can sail upwind single-handed in a 30' wide channel in 35kts - more power to you. Yet I did sail in - because I had enough knowledge of the topography and wind patterns to risk going outside the channel - and only bothered with that because I was trying to make a birthday party - I could always have dropped hook.
> > > > >
> > > > > I don't pretend to be the world's best sailor, but suggest you save your armchair sailing advice for after you convert. You lack credentials otherwise.
> > > > >
> > > > > -K
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "skjenson@" <skjenson@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I have to chime in since I've sailed on the SF Bay since I was 10, 40+ years. You have to expect heavy weather on the Bay most every day Spring through Fall. As I see it, electric (or diesel) power is "auxilary" power and a sailboat is meant to sail. We used to sail into our birth 50% of the time, I'd be happy with 2 gallons of gas. Boating is a challenge and there are always risks, if a person isn't comfortable with sailing most of the time, perhaps a sailboat isn't the right vessel. I'm not conservative enough to need a gas/diesel as a back up to my sails.
> > > > > > Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm going with electric.
> > > > > > Napa Scott
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "aweekdaysailor" <aweekdaysailor@> wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Here's a little thought experiment to help you decide if electric is right for you. Think about all the trips you've had with diesel/gas in various weather/current conditions. Now imagine that you started those trips with only (1 gallon of diesel/2 of gas), because that is about equivalent to what you will be able to carry in electric energy. Would you have comfortably finished all those trips?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Now...you can bring a generator, but they must sit on deck to be safe, and they really only extend range - the don't help much if the batteries are already low and that is, I bet, when most of us grudgingly turn them on. I know I wait until the last minute.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > In very rough conditions - such as I hit yesterday afternoon returning to Brisbane when the SF Bay "wind machine" went full throttle - you may find you lack the punch to even turn into the wind. I had Vessel Assist on standby but I ended up tacking in under jib-only at low tide - somewhat hair raising.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Now...some of my batteries are shot, and I put in 14NM that day - but the problem is conditions can change on a moments notice, and you find. as I did, that fast currents, 3/4 of the day with no wind and the last 2 miles at 35kts in the face makes for a rough finish.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > -Keith
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Fashion News

What's the word on

fashion and style?

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Support Army!

Troops' Children

Need Your Help

Fund Learning

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment