Wednesday, May 27, 2009

[Electric Boats] RE: Electric power for over 30' [Question for Dave K]



Hey Dave, I am intrigued at the prospect that a rated 8 hp electric motor
can have the same pulling power as a 'rated' 50 hp Diesel motor!
Now I may not understand what "Bollard Pull" is... but I do understand
that there are a few things people s-t-r-e-t-c-h the truth about: One of them
is about Gas Mileage and evidently the other one is the power electric
motors produce. lol. Ok Dave, I'm only kidding but please help me to understand
how this can happen? I mean 'Efficiency' can only do so much!
Is this '300 lb Bollard pull' at startup, full speed or someplace in
between and if this is true, why am I looking at a bigger motor? A 300 pound
pull is a lot of pull/push...whatever.

So let me recap:
If you took a 20' line and hooked your sailboat (8 hp) to your friends
sailboat (50 hp) Stern to Stern and you both opened throttle; Nothing would
move until either you ran out of electricity or your friends sailboat ran
out of Diesel.
-Tom- (not my real name)


In a message dated 5/27/2009 11:08:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
inganear1@yahoo.com writes:

Tom, there are several projects completed and many underway in
approximately your size range. 48 volt systems seem to be the normal voltage for most
but some run on 36 volts. Look through the photo section, you'll find
several to draw ideas from. There are several guys one the site that are
building a business out of electric conversions making kits/pods and other
things that may be of interest to you. My boat is a 30 ft ChrisCraft Capri
sailboat that weighs in at 12000 lbs. I use a Etek brushed motor 8 hp and
have the same bollard pull as a friend of mine on his 50 hp diesel, (a
little over 300lbs), so you see it's not just rated Hp that does the job, it's
also efficiency..

Dave K

--- On Tue, 5/26/09, Tom <_iloveamercedes@iloveam_
(mailto:iloveamercedes@aol.com) > wrote:

From: Tom <_iloveamercedes@iloveam_ (mailto:iloveamercedes@aol.com) >
Subject: [Electric Boats] RE: Electric power for over 30'
To: _electricboats@electricboatele_ (mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com)
Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 8:15 PM

Hello everyone!
I know there must be a thread for powering sailboats over 30' with
electric motors. Can someone direct me to it?
My sailboat is a Cal 35 Cruising. She is of 15,000 lbs. Displacement.
I think this project would need around 35 hp. She has a 4-108 Perkins of
'Claimed' 50HP hahahaha!
Anyway, with what little I know about this, I would need a bank of about 5
Golf Cart Batteries.
I also want to utilize Solar Panels as well as a Gas Power Generator.
So let me know how screwed up my ideas are so I can get an idea of where
to start here.
Thanks

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

**************Dinner Made Easy Newsletter - Simple Meal Ideas for Your
Family. Sign Up Now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221991367x1201443283/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215225819%3B37274678%3Bs%
3Fhttp:%2F%2Frecipes.dinnermadeeasy.com%2F%3FESRC%3D622)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment