Thursday, May 28, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric power for over 30'



After 4 months of cruising down the Florida coast with my Electric Yachts motor and my 16" (18 pitch) Kiwi Folding prop I have changed to a 3 blade fixed bronze prop at 17" and 18 pitch. I am now getting 4 knots (sog) with 20 amps in my Freedom 32 - 9,000 disp. and 12'3" beam.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "tdmitrukowski" <tdmitrukowski@...> wrote:
>
> Mark thanks for the input I was about to post a qestion regarding prop size and real world results but I got my answer. If any one else would have any experience with various props on an electric syustem and the results I would appreciate it. I am planning to go to a 16" CDI perfect pitch prop next time the boat is out of the water. My goal is not to go over 40 amps while using the motor and it would be nice to get 4knots at that amp draw.
> Tom
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "acsarfkram" <acsarfkram@> wrote:
> >
> > Tom,
> >
> > That sounds like a small prop for your boat. I had a fixed 2 blade 11"x10" prop on my Ericson 27 and would get 3knts @ a 20amp draw and just over 4knts @ full power. I changed to a 12"x10" fixed 3 blade prop and now get 4knts @ a 20amp draw and 5.8 knts @ full power.
> >
> > Have you tried different props?
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > -- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "tdmitrukowski" <tdmitrukowski@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Tom I have a challenger 32' that displaces around 14000 lb. It also had a Perkins 4108. I converted it to electric this year. You can see the pictures in the picture files under the folder Second Wind. I built the rig myself from parts I could get cheap on ebay( with exception of the controller). I used 8 batteries for a 48V system. It should give me 250 amp hours of use. Minus all the losses its probably much less. I think it will run at 40 amps for over 3 hr ( I haven't tested it for this long yet) At 30 amps I get close to 3 knots at 80 amps I get about 4 knots. The prop I am using is a 12" with a 9" pitch and has three blades. My boat ispretty wide with 11' of beem that I think is thre reason for the large amp draw and slow speed. I think your boat will get similar results to mine as far as amp draw is concered and the speeds you can expect.
> > >
> > > Tom
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment