Sunday, May 24, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Conversion of Erickson27 Atomic-4 to Electric



If you think you can sail upwind single-handed in a 30' wide channel in 35kts - more power to you. Yet I did sail in - because I had enough knowledge of the topography and wind patterns to risk going outside the channel - and only bothered with that because I was trying to make a birthday party - I could always have dropped hook.

I don't pretend to be the world's best sailor, but suggest you save your armchair sailing advice for after you convert. You lack credentials otherwise.

-K

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "skjenson@..." <skjenson@...> wrote:
>
> I have to chime in since I've sailed on the SF Bay since I was 10, 40+ years. You have to expect heavy weather on the Bay most every day Spring through Fall. As I see it, electric (or diesel) power is "auxilary" power and a sailboat is meant to sail. We used to sail into our birth 50% of the time, I'd be happy with 2 gallons of gas. Boating is a challenge and there are always risks, if a person isn't comfortable with sailing most of the time, perhaps a sailboat isn't the right vessel. I'm not conservative enough to need a gas/diesel as a back up to my sails.
> Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm going with electric.
> Napa Scott
>
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "aweekdaysailor" <aweekdaysailor@> wrote:
> >
> > Here's a little thought experiment to help you decide if electric is right for you. Think about all the trips you've had with diesel/gas in various weather/current conditions. Now imagine that you started those trips with only (1 gallon of diesel/2 of gas), because that is about equivalent to what you will be able to carry in electric energy. Would you have comfortably finished all those trips?
> >
> > Now...you can bring a generator, but they must sit on deck to be safe, and they really only extend range - the don't help much if the batteries are already low and that is, I bet, when most of us grudgingly turn them on. I know I wait until the last minute.
> >
> > In very rough conditions - such as I hit yesterday afternoon returning to Brisbane when the SF Bay "wind machine" went full throttle - you may find you lack the punch to even turn into the wind. I had Vessel Assist on standby but I ended up tacking in under jib-only at low tide - somewhat hair raising.
> >
> > Now...some of my batteries are shot, and I put in 14NM that day - but the problem is conditions can change on a moments notice, and you find. as I did, that fast currents, 3/4 of the day with no wind and the last 2 miles at 35kts in the face makes for a rough finish.
> >
> > -Keith
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Odd News

You won't believe

it, but it's true

Drive Traffic

Sponsored Search

can help increase

your site traffic.

Get in Shape

on Yahoo! Groups

Find a buddy

and lose weight.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment