Friday, June 3, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: What to do

 

The 12 volt trolling motors are limited to about 3 knots due to motor rotational speed and prop pitch (4"). The 24 and 36 volt models will rotate faster and reach about 5 knots (info was posted on Minn Kota's web site at one time).

The 12 volt transom mount models are about $200. The 24 to 36 volt ones will cost from about $400 to over $1000 depending on the model and features. Don't forget the cost of the batteries.

All electric motors will exhaust the battery very quickly if run at full speed. Using a Group 27 battery you may get only about 30 minutes run time at full speed.

Also keep in mind the effects of any winds and currents that you will regularly experience.

If you could borrow one for a trial, you could get a good answer for your particular situation.

I had good results with an Endura 50 my O'Day 19 in lower winds, but only after I changed batteries from a single group 27 to two GC2 to get more than 30 minutes of run time at the 4 and 5 settings. But when I needed more power and speed with my Capri 22, I changed to the Torqeedo Cruise 2 (tiller model).

John

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike C" <boatnut@...> wrote:
>
> I have a Wes Farmer Badger http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/wf/badger/index.htm with a motorwell and I am trying to decide what to to do for power.I would love to go electric but the outboards are very expensive.Would a large trolling motor work for me? I would like to travel at about 5 knots for as long as possble.I would like to use a rudder and have a controller of some sort about in the middle of the boat.Any ideas and what this would cost me?
>
>
>
> Thank You
> Mike
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment