Thursday, June 23, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Hello, all!

 

Ben

Thanks for the kind words. Yes back in 2007 when I started thinking about electric propulsion there were not many installations out there I could use as a guide. Today there are a lot more systems out there and as you can see here more installations being done. In addition to the engine weight you'll be surprised at how many fewer tools you'll need to carry too! When you no longer need all those wrenches to work on the ICE. Glad my blog was able to help guide you.

Capt. Mike

Sent from on board BIANKA
http://biankablog.blogspot.com


From: Ben Okopnik <ben@linuxgazette.net>
Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:31:59 -0400
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Hello, all!

 

Hi, Mike -

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 04:29:09AM -0700, Mike wrote:
>
> I converted my 30 foot 16,000 lb Nonsuch to EP using a Thoosa 9000 system back
> in 2008 and never looked back.

I read your entire conversion adventure on your blog, actually; that's
one of the things that steered me to this group. Thanks for posting all
that - really helpful!

> I think going with solar first is probably a
> good idea. I started with a wind generator (though I did have some 12 volt
> solar already on board). Currently, I have my wind generator off the boat but,
> the solar has been working fine so there is no rush for me to get it back on
> board. But, it is nice to have back up systems especially if one is off the
> dock as you and I are. I also have a Honda 2000 generator in the mix but, after
> the battery is bulked charged it is rarely run. Though it can also push my
> 16,000 lb boat at about 3 knots in calm conditions if I need to.

That's how I'm looking at it - it's a backup system in case of need. The
big trick is going to be finding that sweet spot between the
battery/motor weight I can carry on the boat (let's see... 100gal of
diesel + tanks + hoses is about 1000 lbs, engine and tranny and assorted
engine bits, maybe another 800... that's most of a ton right there!) and
the amount of thrust I can generate. I have no idea how to approach that
question yet, but I'm going to hang around and keep my ears open. :)

Ben
--
OKOPNIK CONSULTING
Custom Computing Solutions For Your Business
Expert-led Training | Dynamic, vital websites | Custom programming
443-250-7895 http://okopnik.com http://twitter.com/okopnik

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment