Thursday, June 23, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Cal 34 with Atomic 4 conversion to Electric

 


Great Photos! Very helpful. Looks like you did a fantastic job of fabricating the motor mount and you are using chain drive. Gear sizes? What size/model motor? Does the motor power the boat well in rougher seas? Congrats on your conversion.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "collinsderek45" <asanto33@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, baumann_dean <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > I have a 1969 Cal34 with gasoline Atomic 4 V-Drive engine. Does anyone have experience converting this to electric.
> >
> Dean, I have a 1968 Cal34 and converted last year using the Thunderstruck kit. Like many in the group here, an Atomic 4 was no longer working and a repower to diesel would have cost more than the value of the boat. By building a frame out of aluminum angle and a scrap piece of 3/8ths sheet aluminum, I mounted my motor at an angle to match my old V drive. I have just posted photos in an album, Cal34. While a 34 foot boat is about as large as I would go with a 48volt system, the Cals are under 10,000 lbs and no one expects to break speed records. I also have the Honda 2000i as everyone has recommended. There is a long learning curve but I enjoy it. Hope this helps- DC
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment