Sunday, June 26, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] 26' Bayliner

 

Well that's my idea It seems like I can save allot of money on fuel and cut down on the noise OK I will give up on all the power and speed but really unless you are in a tournament or something whats the big hurry? My boat is to big to pull skiers its just a cruiser with a cabin to go out and fish maybe sleep out a few days weather permitting. I am really convinced it would work good for my purposes anyway,  I hope you guys Will help me along, I know absolutely nothing about electric motors I have done allot of projects construction and welding but nothing in Electric motors and batteries.  I love seeing photos of the projects people do and I try to take lots of photos of my projects. If any of you are on Skype You can contact me on there to under Jefrey Gomes and I have lots of pictures of my different projects on Facebook if anyone is curious under Jeff Gomes Santa Luzia, Azores,Portugal

Thanks!

Jeff S Gomes

--- On Sun, 6/26/11, Capt. Mike <biankablog@verizon.net> wrote:

From: Capt. Mike <biankablog@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] 26' Bayliner
To: "ELECTRIC BOAT GROUP" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sunday, June 26, 2011, 2:42 PM

 

Jeff

I sail but, I've watched a lot of the local fishermen head out and maybe drop anchor a mile or two from the harbor entrance to fish. It always seemed to me they could easily convert to electric and since the electric is so quiet they could troll on the way out with improved results since the electric won't scare the fish away like a noisy ICE would.

Capt. Mike

Sent from on board BIANKA
http://biankablog.blogspot.com


From: Jeff Gomes <jnlgomes@yahoo.com>
Sender: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 03:03:42 -0700 (PDT)
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] 26' Bayliner

 

Well I wasn't expecting anywhere close to the current speed But was hoping to at least pull out at least 8 knots for 6 hours and was thinking about adding a small diesel gen set some solar panels and  some tow able generators. I realize all that would also add to the weight witch adds to the load on the batteries. Anyway I am living in the Azores and fuel is a killer here and I just want to be able to take the boat out do some fishing and come back Or maybe Cruz from one island to another or stay out a day or two on the water. No big hurry for anything here really laid back. Well unless the wind picks up fast witch it does some times here

Thanks!

Jeff S Gomes

--- On Sat, 6/25/11, Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] 26' Bayliner
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, June 25, 2011, 10:37 PM

 

Hi Jeff,

Like James said, if you don't mind a max speed of about 5kts, then you might consider electric. Put another way, think of your boat repowering your boat with a 10hp outboard. You should get the same performance as that, just like John's conversion on You Tube.

Going faster will take a much more powerful electric drive. So it depends on how you use your boat today.

An easy question in "how much gas do you usually use in a single day on the water?" Just thinking about the batteries, if you use golf cart style batteries, the usable equivelent of a 1 gallon gas tank will weigh about 800 pounds and cost about $2000. Upgrading to AGM will drop the weight to about 750 pounds and cost about $4000. Going high tech, you could buy Lithium cells that only weigh 350 pounds and cost about $6200. All of that for a "gas tank" that drive your boat as far as 1 gallon of gas today.

If you usually use 5 gallons of gas in a day, then multiply the numbers listed above by 5 and you'll be in the ballpark.

If this sound OK, then we can start trying to figure out what kind of drive (electric motor) can deliver your desired level of performance.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Sizemore <james@...> wrote:
>
> If you don't mind traveling at 4 to 5 knots, then you should be able to get a few hours worth of battery power in the boat. There would likely be little if any in weight savings, after adding the batteries. If on the other hand you want to travel at the boats normal 20 knots then unless you have a generator as large as the motor your removing, the batteries range would be counted in minutes not hours of travel time.
>
>
> On Jun 25, 2011, at 9:38 AM, Jeff wrote:
>
> > I have a 26' Bayliner that I am getting ready to remodel this coming winter. I have been seriously thinking of converting the Chevy 350 V8 to electric drive has anyone had any luck in converting a Dual prop out drive to electric any ideas on where I should start and what I should try. I figure with getting rid of the 100 gallon fuel tank and the big v8 engine I should be able to cut back allot on the current weight and give myself plenty of room for batteries. I would appreciate any ideas as i know nothing of electric motor conversion
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment