Thursday, June 23, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: homemade Z - drive

 

I haven't,but many have. Search this site and the web for "electric motor outboard conversion."

Most conversions require a motor mounting plate installed above the upper unit with a flex coupler between motor and drive shaft.

Might as well keep the swiveling action of the outboard to steer with, it is less work than adding a rudder, and the turning radius will be better, too.

Dan

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "jallen72@..." <jallen72@...> wrote:
>
> Has any body ever tried to make a homemade Z or L drive out of a discarded small outboard lower unit? any pics ? I want to build a mini tugboat for my kids that is also big enough for me and my wife ( perhaps 12 feet or so ) but it has to be on a shoe string budget with as many things as possible repurposed or scrounged from junk. I think it needs a little more power than a trolling motor. I was thinking of a golf cart motor or some kind of car starter or something. any ideas? Oh also. The drive wouldn't necessarily have to turn, I could mount it fixed and use a rudder if it's easier ( and cheaper ).thank you.
>

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment