Wednesday, June 22, 2011

[Electric Boats] RESULTS ..... VERY GOOD

 

I just wanted to take a moment to let all those who are thinking of repowering with electric that I am very glad I did!

Last year we experimented with the batteries. A battery recycler suggessted that I use 4 12v deep cell batteries to get the 48v I needed to drive the 36v 4.5 HP motor. I actually went with 3 8v Golf Cart batteries and 2 12v #27 deep cell. BIG MISTAKE.

After launching the boat I knew in 5 minutes I was going to have a problem. The 12v batteries started losing power immediately. Ultimately I had maybe 20 minutes of power and could actually hear the voltage drop as the motor decreased in speed every second. I endured this combination for the balance of the summer as I got the boat in very late (mid August).

This year however I bought three more 8v Deep Cell golf cart batteries and the difference is astounding. I did the very unscientific test of motoring out to the race stating line into waves and a head wind for a 1/2 hour. Then after the race I secured the boat to the dock and turned the power up 2/3 and watched and watched and watched. 1 hour later it had not lost any prop speed and their was no noticeable voltage drop that I could hear.

I figured that 1-1/2 hours at near max throttle would be more than enough for me as I am mostly a day sailor. When I plugged the digital charger back in, it showed 6% remaining charge.

So... my next step is to figure out a way to use a small Honda generator to produce the 48v needed for a long motor trip. I know I can run the generator to maintain charge while motoring as stated by the charger manufacturer, but I would not be able to charge and keep up with the drain if were mostly discharged.

The instant on, instant reverse, the small throttle control mounted next to the wheel, the ability to get full power in windy conditions, the fresh clean air, the quiet ride into and out of the marina, no diesel smell, free electric at the dock, 5.5kph boat speed, should I go on?

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment