Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Hello, all!

 

Hi, Mike -

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 04:29:09AM -0700, Mike wrote:
>
> I converted my 30 foot 16,000 lb Nonsuch to EP using a Thoosa 9000 system back
> in 2008 and never looked back.

I read your entire conversion adventure on your blog, actually; that's
one of the things that steered me to this group. Thanks for posting all
that - really helpful!

> I think going with solar first is probably a
> good idea. I started with a wind generator (though I did have some 12 volt
> solar already on board). Currently, I have my wind generator off the boat but,
> the solar has been working fine so there is no rush for me to get it back on
> board. But, it is nice to have back up systems especially if one is off the
> dock as you and I are. I also have a Honda 2000 generator in the mix but, after
> the battery is bulked charged it is rarely run. Though it can also push my
> 16,000 lb boat at about 3 knots in calm conditions if I need to.

That's how I'm looking at it - it's a backup system in case of need. The
big trick is going to be finding that sweet spot between the
battery/motor weight I can carry on the boat (let's see... 100gal of
diesel + tanks + hoses is about 1000 lbs, engine and tranny and assorted
engine bits, maybe another 800... that's most of a ton right there!) and
the amount of thrust I can generate. I have no idea how to approach that
question yet, but I'm going to hang around and keep my ears open. :)

Ben
--
OKOPNIK CONSULTING
Custom Computing Solutions For Your Business
Expert-led Training | Dynamic, vital websites | Custom programming
443-250-7895 http://okopnik.com http://twitter.com/okopnik

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment