Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Newport Vessel trolling motors spec sheet

 

I got a good chuckle out of the 7 knot current thought. I'm going to make this scientific (as much as a non scientist can) by buying the 85 pound Newport Vessel motor. I have an iPad with an app for GPS speed. I am going to take my boat (11 foot) out in slack water, put it on high speed and report the results. Perhaps the factory somehow put the (transom mount) motor on a SUP with a 8 year old(or midget) aboard for their test with a custom prop...that would not necessarily be false advertising because they may have said "up to". Regardless I will let you know...maybe with a video?

Bruce

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 30, 2016, at 5:49 AM, cirejay@hotmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

John,

I quite agree.  I have a  high pressure floor inflatable, 8.5', with a Torqeedo  1005.  I love the motor but the only way it would push the dingy 13 mph would be with a 7 knot current.


1200W is 1.6hp.  No way, just ain't going happen

Eric SV Meander



---In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, <oak_box@...> wrote :

I'd really be curious to see some documented evidence of 13+mph on a 6.5' dingy of ANY kind with a trolling motor.

Maybe that's the "theoretical" speed of the prop if it was 100% efficient???
But if my calculations are correct, hull speed of a 6.5' dingy is somewhere around 4mph.  Getting three times that with a trolling motor at 1200W just does not seem very likely at all.

If anyone has a small dingy in the Austin, Texas area, I have a 24V and a 48V Torqeedo that I'd be willing to mount on it and see what it will do.

John



__._,_.___

Posted by: bruce thomas <mosslandingcreatures@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (34)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment