Tuesday, November 15, 2016

[Electric Boats] Sailboat tender/electric rowboat

 

I have a mother ship sailboat. The "offspring" is an 11 foot seagoing RIB. The RIB is set up for extreme ocean going and has onboard 250 amp hours of battery and a trolling motor .(Newport Vessel 60 pound) The rowboat is stored on the foredeck and is launched by a crane Here is my problem. When tied to the dock I have shorepower which ties to a battery charger mounted in the rowboat. (Along with the rest of the elec system). But now I go to anchor long term and no longer have the shorepower luxury. I want to go PV and or wind power (600-1000watt potential) I want to be able to charge the rowboat onboard batteries. At the same time I need to prioritize energy collected for start and house batteries. Is there a product that is priority step down configured. Is there a controller that says "if both battery banks are full then switch to charge a third bank...the rowboat batteries" I would prefer not to invert 12v to 120 to drive the rowboat charger which then switches back to 12v to charge. This appears in-efficient. So any ideas of what kind of PLC I should install?

Bruce

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 15, 2016, at 8:24 AM, oak oak_box@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

If your Newport 16 was previously set up for an outboard, you might want to take a look at the Torqeedo 2.0 - it's a 24V electric outboard that should push your 16' sailboat very nicely.

They're a little pricey, but very nice units, and simple "plug and play".

Good luck!



From: "childscrick@yahoo.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 5:12 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Any experience or ideas for newbie electric conversion on Newport 16 sailboat?

 
Hello group. I'm the owner of my first sailboat. Space seems certainly limited at first glance. I already have a Curtis 24 Volt, 1225-2704 PMC 125 Amp controller, 5k ohm throttle, and 2 sealed 12 volt, 150AH batteries. I do not have a motor or way to turn a propellor. 
 It seems the following question must have been asked before as its so obvious: Can a 24 volt PMC or other electric motor succesfully replace the engine on a outboard motor lower unit.? If so any recommendations on motors?  Does a vertical position affect the motor or bearings?
 If I was not to use any of the components I have already what might be a better setup?. Oars?
 Has anyone had experience with a Newport 16 in particular. With or without electric? 
 Thanks and Merry turkey day. 


__._,_.___

Posted by: bruce thomas <mosslandingcreatures@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment