Monday, November 28, 2016

[Electric Boats] Re: Newport Vessel trolling motors spec sheet

 

Ah yes simplicity. Has anyone looked at the Newport Vessel (trolling motors) website? There is a light and dark blue chart that shows what you can expect in hull speed with each model offered? When I ask them are they doing it with pitch, diameter, or RPM they told me they really couldn't say. They go from the 36 pound thrust that will push an 8.8 foot boat at 4.04 mph to an 86 pound that advertises a hull speed of 13.67 mph for a 13.8 foot boat !  There is even a video beneath the chart showing showing an inflatable being pushed thru the water at different speeds. High speed looks pretty fast! I currently have two 135 ah batteries ahead of my 40 pound Newport Vessel motor on my powered rowboat that runs my boat at around 4 knots and am interested in upgrading to the 86 lb to TRIPLE my hull speed. Can anyone help to explain to me how approximately doubling thrust to 86 lbs will triple my hull speed? Has anyone read the chart? Am I misinterpreting it? I would be extatic if my 9 foot RIB rowboat could go 13 mph with an 86 pound Newport Vessel trolling motor ! Let me know what you think. I am about to buy an 86 pound from them but thought I would ask you all first.

Bruce


Sent from my iPad

On Nov 27, 2016, at 5:06 PM, John Acord jcacord@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

What ever happened to good simple instrumentation? 

Most anything you want to know about your system can be done with sensors and minimal electronics.  There is a lot of stuff out there for things like the Pi that are excellent building blocks.  (Didn't someone on the list said you can easily read canbus with a Pi?)

Thermal sensors, rotational sensors, shunts and voltmeters can tell you most of what you need to know about your system.

Half the fun of electric boating is what you can do simple.  :-) 

John A

--
Flatwater Electronics
www.flatwaterfarm.com
"Neurosurgery for computer looms."

__._,_.___

Posted by: bruce thomas <mosslandingcreatures@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (20)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment