Monday, June 3, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: Pushing a 16 ft fiberglass Whitehall

 

Aye, but there's the rub. Cost/benefit is ALWAYS a factor. My canoe cost me $300, the trailer $150, the motor AND batteries about $350. Even with seats, solar panel and other accessories it comes in at around $1000. As equipped it will do 5 mph and can cruise at full speed for several hours.

I simply couldn't justify the price of a Torqeedo on such a rig, no matter HOW good it is. On a bigger, heavier, more expensive boat the situation might be different.

Willie

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Per A Lorentzen <LorentzenP@...> wrote:
>
> Others know more than me and will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if cost/benefit is not a factor, the Torqeedo will demonstrate significantly greater overall efficiency due to more efficient motor/controls; faired shaft yielding less hydrodynamic drag; lower overall system weight, and novel, proprietary prop design more suited to your application (vs slow-speed propulsion of heavier fishing craft and weed-shedding as for trolling motors).
>
> But purchase cost, new or used, will be substantially higher.
>
> -Per
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (60)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment