Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] Minnkotas

 

All things considered I've about decided to stick with a 12v system. Attractive as 24v is, it would require replacing nearly the entire system. Two new 12v batteries (can't reconfigure two golf batteries to 24v) New solar charge controller, and an additional solar panel I'd have to find space for. I just can't justify the expense on this rig.

So, the current plan is to replace the dying 40# resistor minn kota with a 55# PWM, and get rid of the old 5-speed switch and all those wires. Rewire with heavier gauge wire #6 or larger. Install an ammeter so I can monitor current draw. I think I'll gain some on efficiency and hopefully a small amount of extra speed.

Does anyone know how a Motorguide compares to a Minn Kota, or if the props can be interchanged?

Thoughts??

Willie

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "cire" <cirejay@...> wrote:
>
> You still will have doubled your power - watts.
>
> eric SV Meander
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "stmbtwle" <stmbtwle@> wrote:
> >
> > Aye, there's the rub. Paddling a loaded canoe five miles against the tide is not my idea of fun; if it were I wouldn't bother with the motor!
> >
> > If I were to keep the total amps to no more than the motor was designed for (say with a circuit breaker) could I avoid this?
> >
> > Willie
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, George Schnellman <vectorges@> wrote:
> > >
> > > DC motors are very forgiving of the voltage supplied. at no-load the rpm
> > > will be directly proportional to the voltage., Double the voltage and you
> > > double the rpm. Triple the voltage and you triple the rpm. This holds right
> > > to the point 2 nanoseconds before the armature gets too hot and melts and
> > > the operator says, "Wow, I didn't see that coming".
> > >
> > > Be careful how much voltage you apply. Generally you will shorten the life
> > > of your equipment. It would not be fun to be an hour into a cruise and have
> > > the motor melt and have to paddle back.
> > >
> > >
> > > On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM, stmbtwle <stmbtwle@> wrote:
> > >
> > > > **
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I wasn't aware you could run a 12v Minn Kota on 24v... Good idea, I'll
> > > > have to look into that. What kind of controller did you use?
> > > >
> > > > Willie
> >
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (31)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment