Tuesday, June 25, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: anybody interested in a 32 foot cruiser I have repowered with a Prius drivetrain

 

update!

The mercruiser outdrive has a pinion gear that reverses the rotational direction, I was surprised that I was required to remove and turn the engine and hybrid transmission around for correct rotation.
( yes I thought of this first, and yes I have tried both the cw and ccw outdrives) there was no other way.

I installed a keel cooler after the first float test, a 12 inch square Heater core mounted to the outside of the transom.
this has performed remarkably well, bringing engine temp down from 107C to 79C

top speed was limited by the toyota traction control , my solution was to install wheel speed sensors to the axle at the original location by the magnetic toothed ring.

Toyota Electric Power Steering has been installed with sluggish results,   quicker response to the steering wheel torque sensor is needed.

 the second float test has resulted in speeds perhaps around 10mph, 
about twice as fast as a Honda  jet ski idles.


--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "STEVE" wrote:
>
>
>
> ---
> > The boat isn't ever going to 'regen', so is there enough of a power
> > demand spike to get the boat up onto the plane to make it worth it ? -
> > i.e. can you use a smaller main engine that can sustain a plane but not
> > get it there ?
> >
> > I'm having difficulty seeing how this saves over an appropriately
> > sized direct drive ICE in a boat of this type.
>
> I wont need a generator, and the Air conditioning compressor is electrically driven from the toyota inverter ( it is 3 phase)
>
>
> No there will be no regen, but this forum is Electric boats, I am not posting on the cruisers forum.
> My background is heavy in the PLUG in Conversion for Prius industry.
> I failed to mention that after overcoming the cooling issues,
> I plan to install a larger battery pack.
> We already have a 16kw lithium pack sourced from parts of a nissan LEAF auto.
>
> my intended application, where I live is on 8800 acre lakes... small by some standards. there is no where to "go".
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment