Thursday, June 20, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: Hydraulic motor drive with Hybrid Electric and Diesel Motors

 

I've install the hydraulic motor and thrust bearing on the propeller shaft, and ran the system with a 12v hydraulic power pack; so I've got some "performance data". As it turns out the hydraulic motor is so small that I removed the flex coupling and directly mounted the hyd motor to the end of the prop shaft using a 2" diameter aluminum tube and a couple keyless climax couplings. Of course, I also added a small sheet metal bracket so the prop spins and not the motor.
Picture link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/photos/album/1387028983/pic/379578648/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

Now, I have more space. I would like to take Mike's advice (Mike sv Fluke Columbia 9.6 diesel/electric hybrid, Electric Yachts of Southern California) and mount the electric drive directly to the prop shaft. Using the electric motor for both low speed drive and electrical power generation, and the diesel driven hyd motor for main power. I've attached a picture showing the Hyd motor, thrust bearing, and coupling. The coupling is 2"OD x 1.75"ID x 2.25" long. I have space for a 12" Dia x 4" disk between the thrust bearing and Hyd motor without cutting out some fiberglass. Perhaps a hollow core motor or a pulley with an offset motor bracket. Using web searches, most results indicate that a good motor makes a poor generator and visa-verse, but I'm still looking. I'm keeping the cost down and so far the best cost/performance seems to be a Jabsco Pump.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "reesekc" <kcr@...> wrote:
>
> I have a Hughes 35.5 Sloop of which I just removed the Atomic Four motor with a V-Drive. I am planning to replace the motor with a hybrid hydraulic drive system. A hydraulic motor will be used to drive the propeller shaft; and to power this motor, I'm planning on installing a 3 HP electric motor with pump; as well as an 18 HP diesel also with a hydraulic pump. The plan is to connect the motors in parallel with check valves to prevent back flow, so the motors may be used independently or together.
>
> The electric motor will be supported with solar panels and a small battery bank. The diesel motor will drive a larger pump and of course have an alternator for general electricity and recharging the batteries.
>
> I believe the hydraulic pump/motor system is simple and reliable, and I also like the idea of hybrid power system which greatly reduces the battery bank size. I've done a search through past posts, but I could not find much on "hydraulic motor driving a propeller". If anyone could steer me to a previous thread, or if anyone has some comments on the plan, I would appreciate input.
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment